Math = Love: Exciting News

Monday, April 16, 2012

Exciting News

I'm hesitant to post this for fear that hitting "publish" will cause me to wake up and realize that the events of the past few days have just been a dream.

My story begins on the afternoon of Friday the 13th.  During the passing period, I checked my cell phone to see that a superintendent had left me a voice mail.  Several weeks ago, I had submitted my cover letter, resume, transcript, test scores, and student teaching evaluation forms to this district in regards to a high school math opening.  After teaching sixth period, I stepped out into the hall to return the call since my cooperating teacher teaches seventh period each day.  This was at 2:30 pm.   

The superintendent asked if I had accepted a job yet.  If not, he told me that he would love to interview me. I told him that I hadn't accepted a job and that I would love to interview with him. When I told him that my schedule was very open and flexible, I didn't expect to have an interview that very afternoon.  His response was "How fast can you get here?" Since my cooperating teacher was teaching, I was able to leave school immediately and drive directly to the town the school is located in.

At 3:45, I arrived in the town. The superintendent actually took the time to drive out to where I was and lead me back to the high school.  I'm very thankful for this because I left the school in such a hurry that I didn't even have a chance to look up the address of the school.  Less than twenty minutes into the interview, he offered me the job.  By 5:00, I had been given both a tour of the school and the town.  It was a whirlwind of an afternoon.

I have accepted the position, but nothing will be official until the board of education votes on it in early May.  I can't even begin to express what a relief it is to have a job lined up before graduation.  I still have 2 weeks of student teaching left.  But, I can mark "find a job" off my to-do list.

Now, I can't wait to figure out exactly which math courses I will be teaching!  So excited...

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! That must be a huge relief for you..will you please rub some of your luck and charm off on me?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the new job! Love your blog :) Promise to keep posting?
    ☼Kate
    To The Square Inch

    ReplyDelete