Math = Love: Pre-Algebra Road Trip Project

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Pre-Algebra Road Trip Project

Well, since I'm preparing to start my first year of teaching, I decided that I really needed to finish posting the last few projects I did during my student teaching.  During my last week of student teaching, my cooperating teacher asked me to come up with a creative way to review some of the 8th grade math standards. 
A lot of my students had been struggling with the concept of proportions.  With lots of practice, they had been improving, but many students still weren't comfortable with solving proportions.  I wanted to show students that proportions were definitely applicable to their lives.  So, I created this road trip project.  It actually turned into a 3-part project because the students were enjoying it so much. 

Day 1

Day 2

Each student chose 5 cities to travel to on their road trip.  Using a ruler, they drew out their route on a US map.  Then, using the map scale, students determined the length of their road trip in miles. 

Day 2 was spent using gas mileage and fuel costs for various vehicles to determine which vehicle students would take on their road trip.  On Day 3, we calculated food costs, hotel costs, and rental car costs.  By the end of the 3-day project, students were much, much, much more comfortable working with ratios and proportions.  It was an amazing experience to see the light bulbs go off with so many of my students.   

Files have been embedded below.  After you choose the file you want to download, you should be able to click the three dots in order to access the download button.  If you have any trouble with this, send me an e-mail.  I'd be happy to attach the files and send them to you!


UPDATE: Day 2 and Day 3 have now been posted!  Link to Day 2 and 3

24 comments:

  1. This is an awesome project! Pinning it for future reference :)

    ☼ Kate
    To The Square Inch

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing! Nicely done. When will you be able to post day 2 and day 3?

    M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just posted Day 2 and Day 3 this afternoon. Thanks for asking. I had totally forgotten.

    Link: http://mathequalslove.blogspot.com/2012/08/pre-algebra-road-trip-day-2-and-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. There aren't any files showing up to download? Could you email them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure! E-mail me at mathequalslove (at) gmail (dot) com, and I'll gladly attach the files and send them to you!

      Delete
    2. Sure! E-mail me at mathequalslove (at) gmail (dot) com, and I'll gladly attach the files and send them to you!

      Delete
  5. This is great! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I'm glad you have found my blog to be useful!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing! Used this in my college remedial class for an independent project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How did you determine the numbers for the vehicles in day 2? I am thinking of updating them before I use this project...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ashly! I got the fuel data for 25 miles from http://www.fueleconomy.gov

      Hope that helps!

      Delete
  8. hello can i have the answers for this project because my teacher broke her leg and didnt come to school to tell us what to do and its due tomorrow and i am from dubai:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry. This is designed to be an individual project. Every student will have a different route and thus different answers. Good luck!

      Delete
  9. Can you give me the answers for Part 2 the calculated MPG?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's think about what units our answer will be in. The units for gas mileage is miles per gallon. In this instance, "per" means we will divide. So, you will need to take the number of miles the car will go and divide by the number of gallons of fuel the car will require to go that many miles. Hope this helps!

      Delete
  10. Thanks for sharing....This is a great project! I used it this year with my students and plan on using it again. It provided them with a good amount of practice solving proportions as well as some good insight on what it might take to plan a real trip. At the end of the project they created a poster or PowerPoint and presented their road trip to the class. I love reading your blog and seeing how you make math fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad your students enjoyed the project! I like the idea of creating a poster or PowerPoint to present their trips! My students were so excited to share their trips with their classmates. They were especially interested in seeing who ended up taking the longest trip and the most expensive trip!

      Thanks for reading my blog!

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can you give me an example of how to get and use a proportion on part 3 step 2?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful article. But recently if you are looking for a new project management job or if you might have asked for a promotion within your company then you might have heard about PMP credentials!!. It is true that a Project Management Professional (PMP) credential is one of the most sought certifications by employers and employees alike. For its detail information about a PMP certifications you can go through http://www.pmstudy.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. My math team was just getting ready to create a project very similar to this. I am so glad I stumbled on this before we re-created the wheel! Thank you for sharing!!!! You have saved us a lot of time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wao! Thanks for sharing this pretty great project here. I will recommend it to my students and plan on using it. I really love to read your posts and feeling how much you make maths fun.

    ReplyDelete