Math = Love: These are a few of my favorite things...

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

These are a few of my favorite things...

Well, I should be working on getting things ready for the upcoming school year, but I'm not sure exactly what to do.  I finally got keys to my classroom yesterday.  I went today and calculated the square footage of the walls that need to be painted so I could figure out how much paint I will need. 

I'm so anxious to start planning, but I still haven't been told what math classes I will be teaching.  I know that I want all of my students to use an interactive notebook.  I want to make a word wall for each different class.  But, I don't know how many preps I will have so I don't know how many word walls I will need to make.  I want to implement bellwork and exit tickets, but I can't even start gathering questions until I know what courses I'm gathering questions for.   

I don't know what time school even starts or how many classes of students I will see each day.  Hopefully I will get answers to these questions soon.  So, instead of focusing any longer on stuff I don't know, I want to show you some pictures of things that will soon be finding a home in my classroom.

I picked up this package of Olympics rewards at the thrift store the other day for 49 cents!  I'm hoping to create some sort of Integer Olympics to engage my students in practicing integer operations.  Of course, this assumes I will be teaching Algebra... 

I found this trash can at a garage sale for 50 cents.  I thought it looked like a basketball net which makes it perfect for a review game of Trashketball!

Index Cards!  I got these for free which makes them even better.  I'm looking forward to trying out My Favorite No in my classroom!

I'm not even sure if I will be teaching Geometry or not, but when I saw these 14 copies of Flatland at the thrift store, I had to buy them.  They had been there for a while so they were 90% off.  Yes, I got 14 copies of Flatland for $2.40 total.  I still don't know exactly how I will use them or if I will get to use them, but I'm excited to have another resource that I will be able to use.   

Colored Pencils for Interactive Notebooks.  Love! 

Hanging Folders--I plan on placing these in crates to organize both extra handouts and interactive notebook resources.  I want my students to be able to go the the interactive notebook crate and pull out templates of various foldables, graphic organizers, etc. 

Bulletin Board Trim.  I have a lot of bulletin board space in my classroom.

Free posters (and other goodies!) from WeUseMath.org

More Free Posters from the AMS. 
Now, I just have to figure out how to use the laminator in the teacher's lounge.  It just looks terrifying.

2 comments:

  1. Girl what kind of thrift stores do they have in Oklahoma that sell Flatland?! I've never even seen it in Barnes & Noble!

    PS Love all your goodies. Super jelly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, free posters! Good to know! If anyone else is looking for them, they're here:

    http://www.ams.org/samplings/posters/posters
    http://weusemath.org/?q=resourcesforteachers/posterst-shirtsandothermaterialspromotemath/poster

    ReplyDelete