Math = Love: A Good and Frustrating Day

Thursday, August 23, 2012

A Good and Frustrating Day

Announcement: I created a new page at the top of my blog!  Click the tab above to find links to *almost* all of the foldable templates, graphic organizers, forms, and downloads I have created!



Well, today has had some really high moments and some really low moments.  Before I head off to bed, I want to take a moment to reflect on today.  I've been terrible at blogging since school started.  I think it's my perfectionism.  I have an idea of what I want my blog posts to be like.  Creative.  Full of pictures.  Reflective.

And, honestly, I don't have time for all those things right now.  I'm trying to figure out how to manage my first year of teaching and 3 preps.  Plus, I'm the Student Council Sponsor, National Honor Society Sponsor, and Freshman Class Sponsor.  I don't really know what I'm doing.  I'm just making it up as I go and hoping that I don't drown.

So, I'm just going to record this in all its imperfection.   

Highlights of Day 6

- They installed my new projector today after school.  So, tomorrow, I can use my Smart Board and document camera!  This is going to make the process of showing students where I want things glued in their INBs so much easier!

- The superintendent stopped by my classroom today.  He knocked on the door and asked me to step out in the hall for a moment while I was teaching class.  One of my 8th graders had been telling him how much he and the other students loved the new math teacher on the way back from the football scrimmage.  So, he just wanted to tell me that and let me know that I was doing a great job.   


Frustrations of Day 6

-  The schedule and my class rosters are still changing.  I was originally teaching 3 classes of Algebra 2.  However, I had one class with one student and one class with two students.  So, they combined my three Algebra 2 classes into 1 class and added two new Algebra 1 classes.

But, then one of my Algebra 1 classes only had 3 students in it.  So, they cancelled my Algebra 1 class and moved those students into the Algebra 1 class across the hall.  But, today, they decided to take the class across the hall and split it.  So, I will teach half the students, and the other teacher will teach the other half.

So, tomorrow, I will meet 9 new students.  (I'll actually have 10 students in my class, but one student was previously in my class of 3.)  I don't know how to get these students caught up with the INB because the other teacher is not using INBs.  They won't have composition notebooks.  And, I don't really have time to wait for them to come up with a composition notebook.  I need to keep moving ahead in order to keep all 4 of my Algebra 1 classes at the same point.

- I need to figure out a different way to approach my College Algebra / Math Analysis class.  I came in assuming that this was going to be an advanced math class.  These students have already taken Algebra 2.  So, this class is an elective for them.  However, from teaching them this week, I've discovered that topics I assumed would be a review are topics I need to teach in depth.

These students are struggling with adding fractions, graphing inequalities, and exponent rules.  Tomorrow, half of this class (There are only 7 students) will be gone for softball.  So, I need to come up with a plan this weekend for how I want to approach this class from this point forward. 


4 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah! I found your blog from Pinterest and love your interactive notebook ideas! Thanks for sharing! ~Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there Sarah. If I read correctly, this is your first year teaching. The first few weeks of school are the worst. Once you get your rules and procedure established with your students, things will be much better. It sounds like a nightmare to keep having your classes switched around. You can do this and remember to lean on your blogging buddies when you need to vent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you teach in a rural district? I have never heard of such small class sizes. That was very cool of the sup to pass on the compliment from your students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a small rural district. We have 150-160 students in 9th-12th grade. We only have two teachers per core subject at the high school. I teach 6 classes a day, and I only have 66 students. And, actually 11 of those students are 8th graders. I love the small class sizes. It's a definite perk of living and teaching in a small town.

      Delete