Math = Love: More Algebra 1 Interactive Notebook Pages

Friday, August 3, 2012

More Algebra 1 Interactive Notebook Pages

Reminder: These are *still* rough drafts.  There are things I love on these pages and things that bug me and I can't wait to change them.  In real life, these are covered with post-it notes with reminders to myself.  (Like, lower this foldable or fix this or come up with a better way to word this.) 

I've gotten so much inspiration from the math blogging world.  I'm pretty sure that almost none of my ideas are original.  Though I may have come up with it, I think everything I have ever seen on pinterest is floating around somewhere in my subconscious.  And, it influences a lot of the stuff I do without me realizing it.  Later, I'll see it on pinterest and realize oh, that's where I got that idea from... 

I'm not going to write a lot of explanations since these are still works in progress.  My plan is to post each finished set of pages when they are finished and done by students.  Then, I'll try to explain why I did what, etc. 

If you have any questions, ideas, comments, things to make these INB pages better, anything, please leave me a comment or talk to me on twitter (@mathequalslove). 

Lesson 1-2a RHS Exponents and Order of Operations

Lesson 1-2A LHS Students will create their own exponent foldables (Inspiration).  In the blank space, students will create and solve their own problems using order of operations and CWP (Color With A Purpose).

Exponent Foldable Opened

Lesson 1-2b RHS "Evaluating Expressions with Order of Operations"

Lesson 1-2b LHS (Students will create this foldable.  Inside the foldable, they will show the steps to evaluating an expression using the order of operations.)

My example of inside of foldable.

Lesson 1-3b RHS Absolute Value (Dartboard Inspiration from Dan Meyer and his Algebra 1 Curriculum. I do not like my explanation part of this page if you couldn't tell :) )
Well, I'm off to create more INB pages! 

15 comments:

  1. I'm LOVING the PEMDAS organizer. I think this makes so much sense! Reminds me of Hopscotch a bit too!

    Need to look into this dartboard....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's supposed to be like hopscotch. :) I got the inspiration for it from here: http://www.rundesroom.com/2012/04/math-journal-sundays-kicked-up-notch.html

      I can't find a written explanation of using a dartboard to discuss absolute value anywhere, but I found this gem on one of Dan Meyer's powerpoint slides on abs value. (Link to entire curriculum: http://algebra.mrmeyer.com/)

      My goal is to start a discussion of who won. Then talk about how what really matters is how far your dart is from the bulls eye. Translate bulls eye to zero on numberline and go from there. We'll see how it works.

      He also does an activity where students guess the ages of famous celebrities based on their pictures. You determine who wins by the distance of their guess from the actual age.

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for posting these examples! I am going to be starting my year with INBs and am so excited to see examples for high school math :) Now I need to get started on my version before getting back into the classroom. I really like the foldable for the exponents and definitely need to include one that shows the difference between (-2)^4 and -2^4.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love the PEMDAS foldable! I need to use it when I teach order of operations this year. I think foldables are a great way for kids to remember math facts!

    I started a teaching/fashion blog! Check it out!
    myclassroomismyrunway.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a question...on the page for 1-2b notes where you have "Evaluate an Expression" at the top, what do you have underneath it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally. One of the very few things I remember from my school days. These are great. Thanks for posting them.

    Kris in TN

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amei te achar, sou professora de matemática e gostei de sua colocação com as dobraduras, ele deixa curiosidade, muito legar sua metodologia. abç Eiana.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just recently bought your interactive journal from Teachers pay teachers. I love your work. You inspire me. Please keep up the great work. Thank you A seasoned teacher. Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy, I think you must have me confused with someone else. I don't have any resources posted on TpT. But, thanks for visiting my blog!

      Delete
  8. Thank you so much for posting all this information about interactive notebooks!! I am in the process of starting this with my struggling algebra class and I think it's a great way for them to use their notes for assistance!! You have definitely giving me some great ideas and I appreciate all the picture posts- I'm a total visual learner!! Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I hope interactive notebooks are going great with your algebra class! If you ever need any help, just let me know!

      Delete