Math = Love: Interactive Notebook Pages of Late (Algebra 1 and Algebra 2)

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Interactive Notebook Pages of Late (Algebra 1 and Algebra 2)

Well, my Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 students just finished up Chapter 1 recently.  So, I thought it was due time that I posted pictures of our latest INB creations.  Some of these pages I love.  Others, I wish I could travel back in time and redo.

Doing interactive notebooks with my students has taught me the importance of planning out every aspect of my lesson ahead of time.  I've learned that winging it with interactive notebooks can lead to some not so pretty results.  My Algebra 2 students currently have a blank left hand side in their notebook from the day we practiced combining like terms.  My perfectionism hates this, but it's reality.  Some of my Algebra 1 classes take longer to complete things in class.  This means that their interactive notebooks don't exactly match my the notebooks of my other classes.  They have blank pages where activities we didn't have time for should have gone.  But, there's nothing I can do to change that.

I'll be honest.  Some days I get incredibly frustrated with the amount of time it takes for my students to glue in our foldables.  I don't even make them cut.  I do all the cutting because they cannot follow cutting instructions.  I think I could glue in fifteen foldables in the time it takes some of my students to glue in one.  I keep hoping that we will get faster as the year progresses.  We'll see...

Then, there are the days that I see the benefits of our interactive notebooks.  And, all that time spent cutting and gluing and folding and coloring are worth it.  My students actually use their interactive notebooks.  If they have created a foldable, they know it is in their notebooks.  They know exactly where that resource is.  And, this means that they actually use it.  It is such a beautiful thing to look out at my students and see them using their interactive notebook without being told to.   Weeks later, they are still referring to our rules for integer operations.  I love that these notebooks are empowering my students to help themselves. 

I absolutely love interactive notebooks, and my students do too.

So, without further ado, pictures!

Algebra 1 - Integer Operations

Algebra 1 Integer Operations Foldable
Inside of Integer Operations Foldable for Algebra 1


Algebra 1 - Integer Operations Wheel
Students had to pick 8 problems from the previous day's assignment.  They had to write out each step of the problem and explain why the answer would be positive or negative.  The circle is actually a Describing Wheel which can be downloaded here.

Algebra 1 - Distributive Property Foldable (Closed)

Algebra 1 - Distributive Property Foldable (Open)


On the LHS of the Distributive Property, I had students create their own combo meal to demonstrate the distributive property.  Since you don't want to see my lack of artistic skills, here is an example done by a student.


Algebra 1 - Chapter 2 Pocket

Algebra 1 - Solving 1-Step Equations Foldable (Outside)
Inside of Solving 1-Step Equations for Algebra 1


Algebra 1 - Solving 1-step Equations Frayer Model

Algebra 1 - Solving 1-Step Equations Foldable and Frayer Model

Algebra 2 - Combining Like Terms (In the blank space at the bottom, students solved several examples from the board.)  This page was taken from Middle School Math Madness.

Algebra 2 - Graphing Foldable (Parts of the Coordinate Plane and Quadrants)

Inside of Graphing Foldable for Algebra 2

Algebra 2 - Finding Slope Foldable (Outside)

Algebra 2 - Finding Slope Foldable (Inside)

Algebra 2: Functions and Relations Notes

Algebra 2: Function / Not a Function Card Sort (And, yes I glued one of my pieces on the wrong side and didn't realize it until I was finished gluing...)  Note to self: allow twice as much time for this activity as you think it will take. 
Stolen from Math Tales From the Spring




8 comments:

  1. I'm in love with a foldable! And yes, I just sung that to the tune of T-Pain's "I'm In Love with a Stripper...."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, you used my function/not function cut and paste! I love this activity and when I gave my first quiz, I was so surprised how much they retained by completing the cut and paste vs. the worksheet I had always given before. Did it take more time? Yes, but it was worth it. It really slows them down to think about what they are doing vs. mindlessly circling answers on a worksheet. Glad to see it fit into your INB!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing! I'm a homeschooler and love using foldables but after our move back to the states, hadn't picked back up with them, but want to now. The slope-line one is just what I needed this week, so I am happy I stumbled upon it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for posting this!! (I saw this on pinterest.) You are such a blessing right now as I try and break down the simple math to someone I'm tutoring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you for your help I am scrambling to help my 8th graders in my SRBI groups to have a central location to look up information they need. I love interactive notebooks

    ReplyDelete