Math = Love: I love bellwork.

Thursday, October 25, 2012

I love bellwork.

I love bellwork.  My Algebra 1 students love bellwork, too.  It's a great way to refresh their memory of the previous day's topic.  If a student was gone, they will often ask their tablemates for help during the bellwork time.  Plus, it's a chance to have a little fun.

Since talking to some of the other teachers at my school about bellwork, some have started implementing it in their own classrooms!  I would love to see it become a school-wide expectation in my district.

Notable Bellwork of Late:   

I already introduced you to Stan.

Using Bellwork to Practice Error Analysis


I gave my Algebra 1 students a real-life proportion to solve.  

Using Bellwork to Review Previous Topic Using a Real-Life Example

I used my students' birthdays in Algebra 2 to determine their bellwork assignment.  Interestingly, one of my students couldn't figure out which task she was supposed to do because she was born on the 4th of July...  I thought my instructions were pretty clear...

I liked this set-up better than giving students the option of which method to use.  I wanted to show students that we would get the same answer either way.

3 comments:

  1. I like the birthday division for bellwork. I divided the room, left side this, right side that.... But doing it this way, allows the table groups to see both ideas worked through while they work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog. I noticed that you use labels on your posts, but don't have the labels widget on your sidebar. Adding this widget would help when someone is searching for a particular topic and does not have time to scroll through several posts. Just thought I would mention this to you. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the feedback! I fixed it!

      Delete