Math = Love: What I Can't Wait For...

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

What I Can't Wait For...

It's after 11 p.m., and I should be sound asleep.  Instead, I'm writing this blog post about what I'm excited for in the near future.

So, here is the inaugural edition of "What I Can't Wait For..."

1.  I can't wait to try out Boss/Secretary with my Algebra 1 students tomorrow.  I tried it today for the first time with my Algebra 2 students, and I am in love.  It provided the structure for the most amazing factoring practice I have had with these students.  They loved it.  I loved it.  And, every time they got a question right, they would have to declare that they got it right "like a boss."

2.  I can't wait to teach scatter plots and types of correlation in Algebra 1.  During my student teaching, I taught this with M&M's.  My school just adopted a no food in the classroom policy, though.  So, I picked up some colored neon dot stickers at Big Lots this weekend.  I am going to let the students use the stickers to create scatter plots with each type of correlation.  I think the tactile nature of placing the stickers in their interactive notebooks will help solidify my students' understanding.

3.  I can't wait to teach my students how to play coordinate grid battleship.  I actually taught my 8th grade Algebra 1 students how to play the other day.  They were a day ahead of my other classes, and I wanted to do something fun but educational for Friday.  They had a blast, but I had a really tough time explaining the rules.  Only two of my students had ever played actual battleship.  So, the majority of my students had no concept whatsoever of the game.  However, after they got into it, they were hooked.  They have even asked to play it again.

4.  I also can't wait to do the coordinate grid pictures with Algebra 1.  My Algebra 1 teacher taught us how to do these, and I want to continue the tradition.  I've seen so many cool designs on pinterest.  Now, I just have to decide which ones to print off for my students.

5.  I can't wait to try to play coordinate grid hangman in Algebra 1.  I've never played this before, but it sounds like a ton of fun.

6.  I can't wait to move onto Chapter 1 with my College Algebra students.  We have been on the review chapter for ages and ages.  I'm having to reteach almost every single concept that should have been taught in Algebra 1 or Algebra 2.  I love graphing, and that's chapter one!

7.  I can't wait until my garage door is fixed.  I've lived in this house since July, and I would like to actually be able to park in the garage at some point in the near future.  Someone was supposed to come look at it this afternoon, but they never showed...

8.  I can't wait for Fall Break.  5 days in a row without school.  Of course, I will most likely find myself doing a ton of school work during this break...  I also need to do fun things like get a hair cut and update my driver's license.  Plus, the fact that this will be my first fall break in over four years makes it even more exciting.  I loved my college, but they didn't believe in having a fall break.  They did give us the entire week off at Thanksgiving to make up for it, but it was always so frustrating to log onto facebook and see all my friends talking about fall break... 

9.  I can't wait for Student Council State Convention.  It's in the beginning of November.  I'm excited to go and try to learn more about what student council is all about.  But, I'm also excited to mark it off my to do list.  This has been a major undertaking to prepare for.  It's going to be six kids plus me and another teacher for three entire days.   

10.  I can't wait for Christmas.  There are just so many things to love about Christmas.  Christmas carols.  Hot chocolate.  Christmas Ornaments.  Watching the kids at my church act out the Christmas story.  Christmas movies.  Christmas novels.  Maybe I'll even convince my sister to play the Christmas light game with me for old times' sake.  

3 comments:

  1. Do you have links for the hangman or battleship game?

    ReplyDelete
  2. what is the boss/secretary game? - Please.
    I love reading your blog - as a 26 year veteran I sometimes need reminding to remember the beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm curious about the battleship game and the boss/secretary game. . . can you elaborate or post links for more info! It sounds like fun! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete