Math = Love: Algebra 1 Interactive Notebook Entries over Functions, Relations, and Slope

Friday, November 16, 2012

Algebra 1 Interactive Notebook Entries over Functions, Relations, and Slope

Here are my latest interactive notebook entries over functions, relations, and slope from my Algebra 1 classes.  If you haven't noticed, I love the Frayer Model for vocabulary.  It has become one of my go-to entries for the interactive notebook.  I started out the year with miniature Frayer Models.  Not anymore. I like to take up the entire page.  My favorite part is the example and non-example boxes.  The more Frayer Models we complete, the more my students want to create their own examples and non-examples.  Their thought processes are slowly changing.  They are starting to process the material and make it their own before I prompt them to.

For example, recently we completed a Frayer Model over the y-intercept.  In the example box, I instructed my students to draw a linear graph and mark the y-intercept using a colored pencil.  Before I could give them instructions for the non-example box, I had students giving suggestions left and right.  Some wanted to mark the x-intercept.  Others wanted to mark a point that was not even on the line.  Still another said we could mark any point that was not the y-intercept.  At the beginning of the year, my students didn't even know what a non-example was.  Now, they are creating their own.  I am accomplishing something.  My students are accomplishing something.  It's so easy for me to focus on all the areas in which I need to improve that I lose sight of the fact that I am making a difference.

Anyway, here are a few photos.  I've added a few new pages since taking these photographs.  That's just testimony to how busy life as a first-year teacher is.   

Finding Slope from Two Points
Interactive Notebook Entry

Finding Slope From a Graph
Interactive Notebook Entry

Slope Frayer Model

Four Types of Slope INB Entry
Students had the choice to illustrate the journey of Slope Dude, draw Mr. Slope Guy, or create their own way of illustrating the four types of slope.  This entry is proof of why I am not an art teacher. 


These strategies are from Inspiring Active Learning.  I ordered it in October, and it has already become one of my most referenced teaching books.  It is full of teaching strategies for everything.  I can't wait for Christmas Break or this summer when I hope to have time to actually sit down and read it from cover-to-cover.  So far, I have just scanned through various chapters to find ideas to inspire more reflection and active learning in my classroom.  I had my students do an in-class journal entry and a learning log. 

Vertical Line Test
Interactive Notebook Entry

Function / Not a Function Sort
After doing this activity with my Algebra 2 students, I knew I definitely wanted to do it with my Algebra 1 students.  This activity was taken from Math Tales From The Spring.

Relation Frayer Model

Function Frayer Model

3 comments:

  1. interesting blog. It would be great if you can provide more details about it. Thanks you
















    Function Point Estimation Training

    ReplyDelete
  2. This activity worked really well in my pre-algebra class. I also have been using more foldables and having students put them in their notebooks. We are transitioning to common core and your examples and resources have been very helpful to me. I am finding more students engaged in learning and they want to look at their notes! Thanks for taking the time to share some of your materials.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great for ELL students. We use Frayer models often.

    ReplyDelete