Math = Love: Daily Conversations

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Daily Conversations

Today has been a day full of parallel and perpendicular lines, a student council meeting at lunch, practice ACT questions, after school math tutoring, and lots of crazy conversations.  Enjoy.  

Student: "Can I go to talk to the principal?"
Me: "No."
Student: "Why not?"
Me: "He's not here today."
Student: "Why?  Where's he at?"
Me: "He's at a workshop."
Another student: "Is he at Santa's workshop?"

"How can vegetarians eat sandwiches?"    

Student: "Do you want to look at this?" (This student has just handed me a blue folder that is completely full of his math assignments from last year.)
Me: "Sure." 
Student: "So, what do you think?  Can I get some extra points for it?"
Me: "What?"
Student: "I was hoping that you would give me thirty extra points for it."
Me: "This is from last year.  It's not for this class.  I'm sorry, but I can't give you any extra credit for having last year's assignments."
Student: "I was hoping that if I kept it that I would get some extra points for it.  That's okay.  I'll take it to [the other math teacher.]  He'll give me some extra points for it."
Me: "But, he's not your teacher.  How will he give you extra points?" 
Student: "That doesn't matter.  He can still give me extra points." 

"Guys, it's three days until Hanukkah.  I know this because I asked for a dreidl for Christmas."

"Wouldn't it be convenient if deer always crossed at the deer crossing signs?"  (Said after my students had watched this video earlier in the day.)  

No comments:

Post a Comment