Math = Love: Hey World!

Monday, December 17, 2012

Hey World!

Since my junior year of college, I have been blogging about teaching math.  However, I've kept it a secret.  Every once in a while, someone would tell me that I should start a blog.  I would sort of smile and nod, knowing that I was already blogging about it.  Over the past few weeks, I stepped out of my comfort zone and told two people about my blog.  It was a big step for me.  Today, spurred on by Dan Meyer's public service announcement, I am proudly writing my name on my blog.  I am proud of what this blog has become.  I love that it captures both the good and the frustrating since teaching truly is a mixture of both.  I believe that my blog is a reflection of my dedication to my students, my school, and this profession.  So, starting today, I am proudly proclaiming that these words belong to me. 

So, without further ado:

Hey World!

My name is Sarah Hagan, and I am a first-year high school math teacher.  I teach Algebra 1, Algebra 2, and College Algebra in a small, rural town in Oklahoma.  Adjusting to life in a town without a single stop light or even a Wal-Mart has been an interesting experience.  

First Day of Student Teaching
I am a proud graduate of The University of Tulsa.  There, I studied mathematics and secondary education.  The tools I was equipped with to work with students in an urban environment translate almost perfectly to the students I now teach in a rural environment. 

I work with some amazing students who teach me daily about what it truly means to persevere and overcome obstacles.  They put up with my crazy review games, silly youtube videos, obsession with foldables, and love of math.  (And, I don't think they realize I know this, but I know for a fact that the activities they complain about in class are the same activities that they brag to their friends about.)

I would love for you to join me on Pinterest or Twitter (@mathequalslove)!  

Follow Me on Pinterest

4 comments:

  1. Woo Hoo!! Welcome Sarah! I would love to follow in your footsteps, but blogging is frowned upon where I come from. Until it is "okay", I have to stay behind the created name. I love your blog and have been a long time follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there, Sarah! Welcome out into the open!

    I put a lot of thought into whether to use my own name when I started my own blog this past summer. I am thankful that I never felt any real pressure to hide, but anonymity would have its advantages. I think the final decision came down to wanting to be responsible for what I put out into the world, for credit or blame as the case may be. I have already blogged about things that are kind of embarrassing to admit, from my younger teaching days. (I may or may not still do embarrassing things. Mum's the word.)

    I always feel a little bit sad for folks like my buddy Algebrainiac who feel that they cannot "out" themselves. (Your day will come, Alge!) I hope that you find opening yourself up to the world to be a truly positive, freeing experience. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to meet you, Sarah! I think that we have a lot in common. I, too, teach in a small town (in Kansas) with one stop light and no wal-mart. I like your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sarah,

    I love your blog. So glad you are keeping it up. Thank you. Nice to meet you as well!

    David

    ReplyDelete