Math = Love: Parallel and Perpendicular Lines Foldable

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Parallel and Perpendicular Lines Foldable

Today, I introduced the concepts of parallel and perpendicular lines to my Algebra 1 classes.

Quote of the Day: "I'm going to name my kid 'Perpendicular.'"

I had my students complete this foldable for our interactive notebooks.  

Outside of Parallel and Perpendicular Lines Foldable
I'm not the biggest fan of what I had my students write inside the foldable.  It was a little wordy, and I will tell you that the amount of writing decreased with each class period that I taught this.  I put this together at the last minute, and it shows.  Next time I cover this topic, I will revisit this and revise.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!  

Inside of Parallel and Perpendicular Lines Foldable
3 Door Foldable Template to fit in Composition Notebook:


9 comments:

  1. Parallel lines IN THE SAME PLANE never intersect.
    Great foldable !
    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the clarification and your kind words! I was definitely only thinking in algebra mode when making this...

      Delete
    2. Obviously if students are going to use colorful paper and makers, one would assume we are only observing a single plane.

      Delete
  2. I used this today in my Algebra 1 class. The kids were really into it.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Modifying this down for my 5th graders! Thanks for the idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would modify this to use the space on the flap for example equations of each type. Love this, thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Instead of "neither", I would use the word "intersecting". Thanks for the idea :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh! What if you had two flaps: Parallel and Intersecting? Then, you opened the Intersecting flap to reveal two more flaps: Perpendicular and Intersecting but not Perpendicular. You have given me an idea! Thanks!

      Delete
  6. I used this today in my class and it definitely helped for my ELLs! After I showed one example, I had the kids draw their own examples, which definitely helped clear up some confusion on perpendicular vs. intersecting. One girl even drew two lines that didn't intersect on her page but used arrows to show that they would eventually intersect. Awesome math conversation!

    Thanks so much for your stuff, I always love it!

    ReplyDelete