Math = Love: The Little Things

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

The Little Things

Well, the student from the other day who told me that I looked like I hated my life commented again on my appearance today.  When I greeted him before lunch today, he noted that I was actually smiling today.  During my interview for this job, the superintendent told me not to smile until Christmas.  I'm glad I didn't follow his advice because I truly believe that my students need to see me smile.  My students need to see that I want to be doing this job, that I want to be where I am at the moment.

Today's post is about some of the little things I've been doing help bring a smile back to my face.

As part of my birthday gift, my sister gave me a magnetic Christmas tree, complete with ornaments.  I originally assumed that it was to hang on my refrigerator, but she suggested that I put it up in my classroom.  Most students don't even notice it.  But, I love it.  Of course, some students like to rearrange it and place the packages on top of the tree...

My Classroom Christmas Tree
I've also been making a concerted effort to add memories to my memory jar.  I ran across this idea on Pinterest this summer, and I decided I needed to make one for my own classroom.  When I asked my mom for a jar that would work, she gave me a Mr. Peanut jar.

It sets by my desk, and whenever a students says something funny, profound, or somewhere in between, I write it down on a post-it note, fold it up, and put it in the jar.  This jar is full of the things that make me love my job.  But these are the exact same things that are often forgotten or overlooked when reflecting back on my day.  My mind tends to focus its attention on that thing that didn't go so well instead of the myriad of other daily events.

I think my plan is to read these at the end of my first year of teaching.  I can't wait to read back over all of these memories and relive my first year of teaching.

I used to journal a lot, but I just haven't had the time of late.  Basically, if it doesn't get written here or jotted down on a post-it note and stuck in my jar, it doesn't get written down.

My Memory Jar

No comments:

Post a Comment