Sunday, February 10, 2013

It's been a while...

Well, despite all my efforts, my precautionary measures failed.


Teaching has definitely changed me.  I've never thought so much about germs or the simple act of touching a door knob. I now understand why my high school chemistry teacher had a cup of pencils that she allowed students to use and a cup of pencils that were only for her use.  I'm pretty sure that I've used more hand sanitizer in the past few weeks than the rest of my life combined.

Luckily, it's just a head cold instead of one of the more serious things going around.  Still, I'm tired of the sniffling and coughing and sneezing.  I taught Thursday and Friday with a sore throat, and I could definitely tell I wasn't at the top of my game as a result.

I had a surprise visitor in my classroom on Friday afternoon, though.  A student from a local university was in the building to observe one of our science teachers.  When the science teacher had to leave, the student was somehow directed to my classroom to observe.  I was happy to have her, but I felt kinda unprepared.  I didn't feel great.  My students were coming back after not doing so well on yesterday's test.  My desk was a disaster zone.  It's crazy to think that I was that college student a year ago.  And, now, I have college students observing me.        

I want to apologize for my absence in the math blogging/twitter world of late.  The first year of teaching, as I'm finding out, can be rather overwhelming.  School drama and responsibilities have left me exhausted.  I've learned a lot from the experiences, though, and I hope to find the time to share what I have been learning with you all,

I know this is long overdue.  But, I'm jumping back into the blogging world today with a graphic organizer template I created to introduce graphing inequalities to my Algebra 2 students.  Students filled this out and glued it in their interactive notebooks.  I posted a picture of this last semester, but I never posted the template.  Oops...


Enjoy the file!


3 comments:

  1. Sarah, I hope that you are feeling better soon. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I have been teaching Algebra for almost 10 years, and I really enjoy your posts. The first year is very trying, but it will get better! The beauty of this profession is that you are always evolving and changing, but with some experience to rely on that gets easier. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah, I think your files are great.... One question-
    I think you shaded it wrong. and plotted your points wrong, its -4 1/2

    ReplyDelete