Math = Love: Addicted

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Addicted

The end of the school year is CRAZY.  And, it's definitely reflected in my blogging or lack thereof.  During my student teaching experiences, I never really got to experience the last few weeks of school.  Our finals were always over long before the local middle schools and high schools released for summer.  We have seven days left of school and one professional development day left before summer.  I'm having a really hard time comprehending the fact that I am almost finished with my first year of teaching.  Where in the world has this year gone???   

EOI tests are over.  And, I'm incredibly thankful for that fact!  My Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 students did extremely well.  I am incredibly proud of them and what they have accomplished this school year.  I have a reflective blog post in the works on this topic. 

I'm pretty sure that if I sat down and wrote 49 more blog posts this evening, I *might* feel caught up on this blog.  There are so many lessons and funny quotes and experiences that I want to share with everybody.  I just need more time.  Hopefully, I will be able to carve out the time for that this summer.  But, it looks like my summer is already filling up with workshops and trainings and church activities. 

My students and I are becoming addicted to origami.  We've went through almost 500 pieces of origami paper in the last two weeks.  During EOI testing, our schedules were crazy.  I would see some class periods and not others.  And, even if I saw a class period, there were always a few students who were absent or testing.  I decided that I would use this time to introduce my students to origami.  One or two of my classes experimented with making cubes from sonobe units earlier this year.  But, this was the first time for many of my students to complete an origami project.   (I guess we did make origami envelopes earlier this year, though.)

I did have a few students who figured out that origami wasn't their thing.  So, I gave students the option between creating an origami model or completing 8 KenKen puzzles.  I did have some students opt to complete the KenKen puzzles.  Some students even did both.     

Even though most of my students have been taking their origami projects home with them, I have still managed to collect this many origami projects on my desk.  I think they're multiplying!
 
Origami Projects (Made from Sonobe Units)
I've started an origami section in my personal library.  My students love to look through these to find potential projects.  I love looking through them, too. 
My Growing Library of Origami Books

3 comments:

  1. Fun! Thanks for sharing your resources, I would add the page-a-day origami calendars...maybe a craigslist post would land you some freebies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love origami! Funny thing is I learned to love it from my math teacher too. :) We never had those books though; but she did explain the math concepts involved in origami. It definitely made learning more fun and the subject easier to understand. Thanks for sharing, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete