Math = Love: Math Spotting

Monday, August 11, 2014

Math Spotting

Every year, one of the English teachers at my school does a unit with her students on the Holocaust.  Last year, she put students in groups to make exhibits for a Holocaust Museum in the hall.  Each group researched a different aspect of the Holocaust and created a visual display of what they had learned.

Here's the final product:

The kids were really moved by this project, and I was invited by several students to come and see what they had done.  Looking at their creations, I was amazed by the sheer amount of time and dedication that must have gone into creating each section of the display.  It was clear that this was more than just an assignment to them.    

I also couldn't help but notice all of the math that was present in the display.

I'm wondering how I could take this hallway museum idea and turn it into an algebra project.  Hmm...


  1. Perhaps you could collaborate with the English teacher. As students are researching/writing/creating in her class, they could be discussing, analyzing, and evaluating the numbers in your class, or how algebra has been/could be used in relation to those stats.

  2. you have a great idea there, transforming it into an algebra project could be so nice... Great!

  3. Sarah,
    Hello Math and Social Studies teacher here. I love your blog. Even though I teach middle school you have a ton of ideas that I borrow and even inspire my thinking. Was wondering if you could put me in contact with your English teacher as I have to do a Holocaust unit in the winter and I want to make it bigger and better than I did last year. (Teaching social studies because it came with the job position). This idea of a museum is really cool and my kids only go on one trip a year in the early fall. Thanks so much.
    Sarah (so weird signing to and from Sarah)

    1. Hi Sarah! (I always think it's weird to talk to other people named Sarah, too. I guess I'm not used to saying my name that much or something...)

      Thanks so much for reading my blog! It means a lot to me. I'll gladly put you in contact with our English teacher. Send me an e-mail at mathequalslove(at)gmail(dot)com, and I'll pass your e-mail along or send you her e-mail. :)