Math = Love: On Blogging

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

On Blogging

I wish I knew why blogging has been so difficult for me lately.

Today is day #245 of 2014.  This marks blog post #182 of the year.  182 blog posts in 245 days.  What this means is that I've written a new blog post approximately 75% of the days of this year.  (This isn't entirely true.  I tend to blog in spurts.  I will sometimes take a few hours to sit and right out 4 or 5 blog posts at once.  Then, I schedule them to be posted on separate days.  Life gets in the way, so I blog when I have time to do so.)  However, I've written sporadically lately.  It's not that I don't have something to say.  Anybody who knows me knows that I have a TON to say.  When I get to writing, I have a tendency to over share.

I think Twitter Math Camp was a wake-up call to me.  Before TMC, I knew that a lot of people read my blog.  After all, I watch my page views and referral links religiously.  What I didn't really know was that a lot of math teacher bloggers who I look up to and highly respect also read my blog.  These are the people whose blogs I started reading when I was in high school and college.  Everything I know about teaching math was learned from these people.  When they came up and introduced themselves to me at TMC, I was floored.  You know who I am?  You've read my blog?  I should be gushing to you about how I love your blog and how it has changed my life.  

Lesson learned.  Just because someone has never left a comment on your blog or sent you a tweet, it doesn't mean that they aren't reading your blog.  I guess realizing just who is reading my blog has made me more hesitant to post.  It really shouldn't matter.  These people read my blog before I knew they were reading it.  I don't think I'm going to run them off with my honesty.          

I also recently made the decision to be more open with people I know in real life about my blogging.  This has meant telling my students that I write a blog.  Now, whenever I take a picture or write down something someone says, they ask, "Am I going to be on your blog?"  One class wanted to know exactly what my blog was called.  There was laughter and groans when I revealed the name.  This has also meant telling coworkers about my blog.  I don't know if any of them have actually done a search to find it, though.  I've told parents of students about my blog.  That may be the scariest one of all!  Then, I've faced the dilemma of whether I should mention the fact that I write a blog about teaching math to someone I've been set up on a blind date with.  I've come to the conclusion that if a guy things I'm crazy for blogging about teaching math, he's probably NOT the type of guy I want to marry.  Though, if a guy did set down and read all of the 394 blog posts I've written, I might question his sanity.  :)

I wonder sometimes what impression people have of me based on my little corner of the web.  This blog has became something I never expected it to become.  I have became a teacher I never expected to become.  I take risks.  I make mistakes.  I love my kids like crazy.  I teach them more math than they ever though possible.  I make math fun.  I have the chance to become not just a teacher but a teacher leader.  This blog is one of my steps toward that goal.

I need to go back and remember why I blog, though.  I blog for me.  I blog because I process best through written reflection.  I blog because I have a terrible memory.  How did I teach this topic last year?  Let's go back and read the blog post about it.  I blog because I desire community.  My blog made me a part of the MTBoS.  I blog because I have a desire to share.  I blog because I believe that my sharing will lead others to share.  I blog because I want my impact to expand beyond the city limits of Drumright, Oklahoma.  I blog to connect.

From here on out, I will stop apologizing about what I blog about.  I blog for me, not you.  I will not feel guilty when I do not blog.  My blogging will happen based on what I need.  Dan Meyer told us to be selfish.  I'm taking his advice.

12 comments:

  1. Thank you for your honesty and transparency, Sarah. And, thank you for your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! It means so much to me that you read my blog!

      Delete
  2. Sarah,
    You just keep blogging the way you have all along. I love learning more about you, what you like to read, your family, your lack of a green thumb (LOL) and of course, your marvelous lessons. I have a difficult time blogging once a week so the fact that you have so many post is amazing. Thanks for all you share!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan! Your comments always make my day! :)

      Delete
  3. I have to admit that I start getting a little anxious when you haven't blogged for several days but I completely understand. Besides, I can always go back and read some of your older blog posts when I need a little "math = love" fix. Or maybe I should just start writing my own math blog. But seriously, thanks for all that you share and we'll just learn to be happy when you do post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kyle! And, you should DEFINITELY start writing your own math blog! We'd love to have you in the MTBoS. Let me know if you need help getting started. :)

      Delete
  4. I just wanted to tell you thank you for all of your ideas, creativity and passion that you include on your blog. I visit everyday to see what else I can possibly incorporate in my own Algebra I class. Keep up the awesome work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natishia! Your kind words mean a lot to me!

      Delete
  5. Hi Sarah,
    I'm catching up on my blog reading and just caught this post. I went to TMC this year without having met or even talked to any of the participants ahead of time. I had wondered, "What if people aren't like they seem online?" I was almost shocked that everyone I met was basically how I had imagined them from reading their blogs and tweets, you included. You share your experiences honestly which is why I'm sure you have such a big following. That and your notebook pages! Please don't ever feel that you should change how or what you post to try to meet the needs of others. Blogging is a personal thing and many of us are lucky enough to be able to benefit from your reflections and ideas, but you don't owe us anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathryn! I LOVED getting to meet you at TMC. And, I agree. Everyone was like I had imagined them. Though, I'm not quite sure I've fully connected everybody I met in person with what blog is theirs yet...

      Thanks for the encouraging words! I've been stealing your notebook pages lately. They've made perfect review foldables for my trig students. Thanks for sharing them!

      Hope your school year is off to a GREAT start!

      Delete