Math = Love: 2014-2015 Algebra 1 Unit 1 Interactive Notebook Pages

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

2014-2015 Algebra 1 Unit 1 Interactive Notebook Pages

Look who is finally posting Algebra 1 interactive notebook pages.  In April.  

This year, in Algebra 1, I decided to skip over the review I would normally start the year with and jump into relations and functions.  The jury is still out on whether this was the best decision for my kids.  But, what's done is done.  And, I will have all summer to think about it and decide how I want to structure my course for next year to improve student understanding.  

We began the unit with a table of contents sheet.  You will notice that this unit is VERY similar to last year's Unit 5.  There are a few tweaked pages/new pages, though!  

Graphing ordered pairs should have been a review for ALL of my students, but I found that many of my students had misconceptions about how to actually go about graphing points.  It was important that all of my students demonstrate mastery with the coordinate plane before we moved on to any new material!  This foldable is a repeat from last year.  

Outside of foldable: 

Inside the first set of flaps: 

Inside the second set of flaps:

The parts of the coordinate plane page is also a repeat.  This year was the first year that I made my students take a quiz over memorizing the parts of the coordinate plane.

Inside flaps of foldable:

Inside of foldable:

I need to do a better job of forcing my students to reference these two pages when they struggle to remember the mechanics of graphing a point.  Too often, I will just jog their memory.  I need to make them jog their own memory by looking in their notes.

Next, we defined "Relation" with a frayer model.

This foldable on representing relations is a repeat from last year, but I simplified the inside A LOT.  I also made all of the examples represent the SAME relation.

Inside of foldable:

In the future, I would definitely pre-print the coordinate plane!

Once we had defined a relation, we could define a function as a specific type of relation.  I definitely love the Frayer Model!  

This page was a new addition this year!  In the past, I've always wanted my students to justify why a relation was or was not a function.  I would get frustrated when students would just say function or not a function without any explanation.  This year, I actually decided to model or my students how to write their justification sentences.  As we've been reviewing for the EOI these past few weeks, my students are still answering with justifications.  Yay!

The check boxes make it seem a little less scary, I think.

I used the same card sort this year that I've used since I started teaching.  But, instead of having the students sort the cards on one page, they had to sort them on two separate pages.  This gave them lots and lots of room to practice writing justification sentences for each relation.  Smart, huh?

I'm definitely going to keep this set up for next year!  I need to add a specific page in our notes about using the vertical line test, though.  My kiddos still get super confused about it.

Last year's DIXROY became this year's DIXIROYD thanks to a comment left in the suggestions.  

Notice how I made my students write more justification sentences about whether the relation was or was not a function!  Practice, practice, practice!  

Inside of Domain section: 

Inside of Range section:

Independent and Dependent Variable Notes:

I still don't feel like I've come up with a fool-proof way of demonstrating the difference between independent and dependent variables.  

We got out the function machines and the giant coordinate plane again this year.  Same notes as last year.  

Inside of booklet: 

Graphing Functions Graphic Organizer:

Functions Spread:

This page was a new addition.  My students struggle with remembering how to evaluate a function from a graph.  In the past, we've never taken notes over it before.  I'm not in love with these notes, but they're a definite step up from the no notes over this topic from the previous 2 years.

Download files for this unit here.


  1. This is brilliant! Thank you so much. I'm going to have my grade 8's do more of these kinaesthetic activities with the foldables for their last unit for the year. For science I have them doing Cornell note-taking. For maths, this will be brilliant!

  2. I have never used interactive notebooks but have been interested. How much time does it take for the kids to tape/glue things in? We have only 53 minute periods and a very wide range of ability levels in each class.

    1. We have 52 minute periods. Taping/gluing can take a few minutes. I find that if I get through the lesson and let kids tape/glue at the end that they tend to waste less time than if I let them tape/glue before we start the lesson. They use their notebooks for reference A LOT, so I consider the taping and gluing a worthwhile investment.

  3. Could you please post a copy of your Mastery Tracking sheets for each unit? I love it!

    1. I'll add it to my list of things to look for!

  4. I'm sorry if this is a duplicate comment, but I just wasn't sure if my last one went through. I wanted to say thank you so much for sharing your work! I am going to use the Function Machine foldable today in class. Have a good one!