Math = Love: Unit 3: Trig Ratios and the Unit Circle INB Pages

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Unit 3: Trig Ratios and the Unit Circle INB Pages

Unit 3 in Trig was short and sweet.  Here are our notebook pages:

Table of Contents:


Our Trig BFF: The Unit Circle - I'm not sure my students just realized how familiar they were going to become with the unit circle!

In retrospect, I would have also given students laminated unit circles/formula sheets to keep in a pocket in the back of their notebooks.


Using our unit circles, we filled out this table of trig ratios for the first quadrant.  


Notes on how to find trig ratios from the unit circle:


Then, notes on how to generalize trig ratios for each quadrant.  My trig teacher taught us "All students take calculus."  Since my school doesn't offer calculus, I introduced it as "All students take classes."  However, many of my students made up their own way to memorize the signs of trig functions in each quadrant.


Inside of foldable:


ASTC Spread:


We finished off the unit with a trig ratio puzzle.





13 comments:

  1. I love the notebook ideas that you share from your classes. After 22 years of teaching, I have found that great ideas are often found on the blogs of my much younger peers :). Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,
    Thank you for making the blog. I follow you and love the ideas you write about as well as the components of student work that you add. I had some thoughts with fractions and students. They really need a few days of just basics - add, subtract, multiply, and divide. We also spend two or three days drawing angles in standard position. We work in degrees and radians. We work radians a lot and include finding reference angles for each. Then we proceed into special right triangles in the unit circle.
    I would love your comments on my version of introducing trig. http://stephanieduncanmathisradical.blogspot.com/2015/06/ways-to-teach-and-introduce-unit-circle.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im a student and your notes are very easy to follow there clear and understandable fun as well, im not in trig yet ill be talking it in september but I wanted to get a firm understand and this is the perfect way to do so I love it ^-^ I hope to see more to put into my book and I hope you have a good day. Your students are very lucky

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sarah,

    One of my students will be taking Trig next year, and she wants to get a head start on her notebook. (The teacher she will have next year doesn't do interactive notebooks, so she's making her own over the summer.) Will you be posting the rest of your Trig units?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually haven't finished my own copy of the last unit or two, and I'm out of the country for a few more weeks. Sorry! That's so awesome that your student wants to make her own trig notebook, though!

      Delete
    2. Is there a trig unit 4+ on the horizon? Please... :)

      Delete
  5. I agree...do you have any more units for Trig to share? You have such great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know... pretty please? We know you're super busy being an awesome teacher and planning a wedding and stuff. But we love your ideas and would love to see the rest of your trig story : )

      Delete
    2. :) We'll see. If I find out I'm teaching trig again next year, I might me motivated to finish up my last few units.

      Delete
  6. I was hoping to get the documents for your notebook --I saw you had them available for download for unit 2 but I don't see it for this unit. If you can post them I would love to have them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about that! I will put it on my list of files to upload. I'm terribly behind at the moment...

      Delete