Math = Love: Algebra 2 Unit 1 INB Pages 2014-2015

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Algebra 2 Unit 1 INB Pages 2014-2015

The 2014-2015 school year is almost over (three more days), and I'm just now getting around to posting Unit 1 INB pages from Algebra 2.  Have I mentioned before on this blog that this school year has been crazy???

Better late than never, I guess.  You'll see some repeats from previous years' notebooks in this unit plus a few new pages.  Enjoy!

Table of Contents and SBG Score Tracking Sheet

This year, I planned to make score tracking sheets for each unit.  This lasted for a grand total of one unit.  I still like the idea; I just didn't have the motivation to make it happen.  My students weren't utilizing these like I had hoped they would, so they seemed like more of a hassle than anything.  This was probably due to the fact that I didn't grade notebooks this year.

Table of Contents for Unit 1 - Download the blank table of contents here.

These represent my course goals I posted about here.

This year, I began Algebra 2 with a look at parent functions and their characteristics.  This was my first time starting Algebra 2 this way.  I don't think I'll do it this way again.  Too much vocab too soon.  At this stage in the year, a good portion of my class is still convinced that Algebra 2 is too hard for them.  I'll be rearranging my units next year and pushing this toward the middle of the year.

Equation/Graph/Table/Window Parent Function Card Sort
I gave this to students on their very first day using the graphing calculator.  Ever.  That was a mistake.  They really struggled with matching the window cards.  Next year, I need to take specific notes on appropriate graphing calculator windows.  We did a parent function worksheet that I thought we would glue in our notebooks, but it didn't happen.  So this was our only mention of parent functions in the notebook.  Need to fix this for next year!

Close-Up of Card Sort Equation Cards

Graph Cards

Table Cards

Window Cards

A link to download these cards will be found at the end of this file.  I had students staple their piles together and glue the back card down in their notebooks.

Describing Characteristics of Graphs Foldable - Outside

 Calculator Steps for Finding Roots/Solutions/Zeroes/X-Intercepts

Calculator image found here thanks to a blog reader, Marla Barkman, who left this link in the comments on this post.

High school students shouldn't need the reminder of left and right, but some sadly do.

Color with a purpose to mark keys in step-by-step instructions.  I would definitely type this up for kids in the future!

Calculator steps for finding relative max/min on a graph

Domain and Range Notes

Definitions for domain and range

Domain and Range Notation Foldable (Outside)

Domain and Range Notation Foldable (Inside)

Interactive Domain and Range Finder - For more details read where I've blogged about this before here.

I created a worksheet for students to practice synthesizing all of this information.  Students received 6 of these papers and 6 functions to complete the questions about.  One equation per parent function.  Link to download is at the bottom of this post.

Inverse Notes + Beginning of Conics

Finding Inverses Foldable

Conic Section notes are the same as last year.  Read more about them here.

Conic Sections Flow Chart from Rebecka Peterson.

Notes based on Cindy Johnson's Conic Cards 


Each practice booklet opens up to reveal 6 more problems to graph.  Students copied equations to graph from the Smart Board.




Before, I posted about this conic section foldable I made but never used.  This year, I found a use for it!  At the end of our section on conics, I had students write a short guide to the "shortcuts" they discovered for graphing each of the conic sections in their foldable.

Link to download files:


  1. I love the domain and range foldable!

    1. Thanks! It was inspired by the Journal Wizard!

    2. Do you have downloadable files for that foldable and the graphs?

    3. There are links to both in this post:

  2. I'm curious as to how you would teach many of these things without a calculator. Something we've been struggling with this year is that our new EOC has one section that is completely no calculator, and for the other section they can only use scientific calculators... I would be afraid to teach using the graphing calculator, but then they're not able to use them on the giant assessment (30% of year grade)

    1. Well, for finding roots, solutions, zeroes, etc, students would need to factor the polynomial and apply the zero product property. I have my students do this later in the year when we study quadratics. So, I teach them calculator and non-calculator methods - just not at the same time if that makes sense.

  3. Hi, I have tried to share this before, but I don't think it ever loaded. Since Finding Nemo came out I have used DIXI DORY. I have students think of dory from Nemo on a little bathroom cup from Dixi (I omit the e). I have had teachers at the high school ask who came up with that because they saw it on their students papers and never asked. It stuck with them and it worked! Just keep swimming.