Math = Love: Starting Over

Sunday, May 17, 2015

Starting Over

I've been reading math teacher blogs since I was a high school junior.  Yes, I realize that's weird.  But, I also think it's a large part of what has made me into the teacher I am today.

This school year, though, has been crazy.  Balancing life, grad school, teaching, blogging, and reading blogs has been trying at times.  My blogging definitely suffered this year, but my reading of blogs was that spinning plate that I let drop completely to the floor and shatter into a million pieces.  I had so many unread blog posts in Bloglovin that I discovered it doesn't keep all of your unread posts but maxes out at what appears to be 800 or so.  For someone who is subscribed to 871 blogs, this is a problem.

So, from September - mid-April or so, I stopped reading blog posts.  I just didn't have the time or the energy.  I would feel guilty sometimes.  I would wonder what amazing ideas I was missing out on.  But, the more I got behind, the harder it was to jump back into to reading blogs.



Last month, I did something that isn't at all like me.  I switched to Feedly.  I'd tried it once before, but I wasn't impressed.  This time, it reminds me much more of my beloved Google Reader.  I deleted all of my subscriptions and started over.  I just a handful of my favorite blogs and started there.  I read any posts from the last two or so months, but I ignored the older posts.  As a perfectionist, this was a hard thing to do.  But, I know that any amount of blog reading is going to make a bigger difference on me as a teacher than zero blog reading.

As I've been keeping up with my subscriptions, I've let my number of subscriptions grow up to 149.  This is so much more manageable than my previous number of 871 subscriptions.  I've also given myself permission to not follow every single math teacher blog in the world.  I know my blog isn't everyone's cup of tea, so why shouldn't it be the same for me?  If I don't find a blog to be interesting or useful, I'm not subscribing.  If it seems like all a blogger is doing is trying to sell me products they created, I'm not subscribing.  I'm giving myself the freedom to make my blog reading work for me.

I write all this to say: A fresh start is okay.





12 comments:

  1. I love your blog! It's so impressive that you're such a young teacher, but you've certainly found your calling. So what are your favorite math blogs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leica for your kind words! They mean a lot. And, thanks for reading my blog. I've added this to my list of things to blog about. :)

      Delete
  2. Exactly, what are your favorite blogs math?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Added this to my list of things to blog about!

      Delete
  3. I switched to feedly as well when Google Reader died. That's how I consume your blog! :) Happy reading this summer. As always, thanks for what you share on your blog. I get excited when I see that you've posted something new.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Feedly! I agree with the other commenters, I'd love to know that some of your favorite math blogs are. I'm a science teacher, but I've found that some of my best ideas for teaching have been from the MTBoS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Added it to my list of things to blog about soon(ish)!

      Delete
  5. Would love to see you blog roll! I want to add some more math teacher blogs to my feedly! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Added it to my list of things to blog about soon(ish)!

      Delete
  6. Would you share some of your favorites with us? I'm relatively new to the math blogging world, and I am always looking for new ones to follow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just realized you already responded to very similar requests... thank you! :)

      Delete