Math = Love: Brain Teaser: Follow the Pattern

Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Brain Teaser: Follow the Pattern

One of my blog readers mailed me this puzzle earlier this year.  Warning: it's a tough one!  

I love getting mail at school that isn't people trying to sell me stuff...







He even provided me with an answer that was hidden so I couldn't cheat.


I pondered this puzzle for WEEKS.  I showed it to my sister.  She was stumped, too.  I showed it to some students who happened to be hanging out in my room at lunch.  We could not figure it out.

I actually never ended up figuring it out myself.  I tweeted about trying to solve it, and someone tweeted back with the answer to the puzzle even though I had specified "no spoilers, please."

After seeing the answer, I'm not sure if I would have ever actually come up with the answer myself.  But, I guess I'll never know now.  It's a good reminder to me to not give the answers away too quickly to my students.

Enjoy.  :D

And, please, no spoilers in the comments for those who want to play along.


19 comments:

  1. I don't quite understand the setup. Are the four "next symbols" related to problems A/B/C? And is there a way for you to post a link to the answer (in case we have to give up!)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The next four symbols go with problem C. Ideally, you would show a person the first three symbols of problem C and ask them what came next. If they couldn't figure it out, you would offer to give them the next symbol. And, you would continue this process until you had given them four more symbols (the four written below that you were confused about).

      If you're just dying to know the answer, send me an e-mail. I'll see what I can do. ;)

      Delete
  2. I had help...I saw this one as a kid and still rememeber the solution! It's a tough one though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very tough! And, it's the type of puzzle you don't easily forget.

      Delete
  3. Pray do tell the answer. Is it the third option (inverted pair of 6s)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like Shrey commented, those are the next four figures (in order) of the third pattern that you are trying to solve.

      Delete
    2. This is brilliant, Sarah. Cracked it, but with help from Google. Do a blogpost on the solution please. And thanks for sharing. Cheers!

      Delete
  4. Aha! No first of all the set of figures are the answers in the same order... all the figures are the answers.
    Maybe there is a reason why the series doesn't start with one two three?
    LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have NO idea. Hint?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't overthink it. This is the mistake I made while trying to solve this puzzle.

      Delete
    2. I got it! Thanks for this hint.

      Same anonymous guy as before

      Delete
  6. Got it :D Thanks for sharing Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL. Excellent, just figured it out. Thank for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Whoever thought this up was very clever!

      Delete