Math = Love: Free Problem Solving Strategies Notebook Insert

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Free Problem Solving Strategies Notebook Insert

[Edit: I got super excited and posted this without actually linking to the file.  Oops.  It's here.]

The upcoming school year is going to be a BUSY one, so I've been trying to get as many resources created as possible this summer.  My current project is writing SBG quizzes for Algebra 1 and Algebra 2.  So far, I've written 25 quizzes, but I have a zillion more to go.  Still, this is the first time I've ever written quizzes ahead of time, so I'm feeling pretty proud of myself.

I was so excited about how productive I was being that I let myself work on something a bit more on the creative side: a problem solving strategies insert for my students to put in the front of their interactive notebooks.  I have various problem solving strategies posted on the wall of my classroom, but I decided I wanted students to have a copy, too!




Each strategy has a small box to the left of it.  My idea is that when I go over these strategies with my students as we put them in our notebooks that they will draw a small icon to represent each strategy in the box.

Problem Solving Strategies Notebook Page


I've uploaded the editable .pub file and a non-editable .pdf file for you to use in your own classroom.  I've also formatted it two ways: two to a page for interactive notebooks and one to a page for anyone who wants to use it with binders.  If you download the editable file, you will need these free fonts: HVD Comic Serif Pro, Print Bold, and Spicy Rice.

Formatted for INBs

The binder version is turned sideways in the file.  Sorry about that!

Formatted for Binders

Most of these problem solving strategies are included in this file to make your own bulletin board or wall display.

Problem Solving Strategies Bulletin Board



15 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah-
    I am not finding the link to download the files :( Am I missing it? ha! Thank you for sharing!!

    Blog Comment HTML

    Kendra
    This Little Ladybug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fixed it with an edit at the top. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

      Delete
  2. I love that you put something about staring at it NOT being a problem solving strategy.

    Marla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw this quote and decided it HAD to go on here!

      Delete
  3. I second Maria's comment - I love the quote about staring not being a problem solving strategy. I wish I could find something similar about staring at a list of words is not studying vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you could make a list of ways to study and write your own quote about not staring :)

      Delete
  4. I love your work! I was wondering how you go about making the SBG quizzes. I want to try SBG next year in at least one of my classes but am a little lost on how to make the assessments. Any advice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! When I started writing SBG quizzes, I just used my normal quiz style and graded it on a 1-4 scale. (I refer to 4 as an A and 3 as a B. 1-2 are NOT YET and students have to reassess until they make an A or a B.)

      Though, I'm finding that more quizzes with less questions is a better approach. I've broken my skills list into bite size chunks and my quizzes usually contain 2 questions over that concept. Hope this helps :)

      Delete
  5. Sarah I love this! I have your problem solving signs on my wall on a bulletin board and refer to them but not as often as I'd like. I think this might hold me more accountable :) Thanks! Also loving the new logo? title image? on your site!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nikki! I made the blog header using Canva. So easy!

      Delete
  6. Your article is very interesting, I wait for your next article.

    greetings



    Asuransi Pendidikan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where did you find the bulletin board letters?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought them at Mardel, but it was 4 years ago.

      Delete