Math = Love: Definitive Proof

Monday, August 10, 2015

Definitive Proof

I know some people believe that blogs should be 100% personal or 100% professional.  I've never been one of those people.  I love reading about what you guys, my MTBoS friends, are doing in your classrooms, but I also love reading about your adventures outside the classroom.  I like hearing about your hobbies, your kids, your shopping adventures, or even what you ate for breakfast on occasion.  

The MTBoS.  We aren't a group of professionals sharing best practices.  We're a group of friends sharing what we love.  It just so happens that each and every one of us loves math.  :)  And, along the way, we've found out that we have a whole lot of other things in common, too.  

I've made a lot of friends through the MTBoS.  Friends who challenge me to think critically about the way I do things.  Friends who support me.  Friends who inspire me.  Friends who make me laugh.  Friends who just naturally "get" me.  

This post isn't about friends in general, though.  It's about one specific friend I've made in the MTBoS.  A blog reader who became a tweep.  A tweep who became a friend.  A friend who became my best friend.  

Now comes the time where I tell you that I've been keeping a secret from you since May.  A really big secret.  The biggest secret I've ever kept.  The hardest secret I've ever kept.  The most life-changing secret I've ever kept.  

You might have noticed a lack of blog posts about Twitter Math Camp.  That's because I wasn't at Twitter Math Camp.  I wasn't even in the United States.  

  
I guess it's time to properly introduce you to my favorite member of the MTBoS.  

Meet Shaun.  No, he's not a kangaroo.  But, he is the reason I spent my summer in Australia.  

Shaun is a secondary maths teacher in Australia who blogs at The Prime Factorisation of Me and tweets as @theshauncarter.  A little over a year ago, he discovered the MTBoS and started blogging himself.  He caught my attention when he started leaving comments on a few of my posts and even mentioned me in a blog post.  I clicked over to his blog and decided to subscribe.  

I left a few comments myself.  How could I not when he was blogging about stuff like math games, foldables, and cutting and gluing in math class?  Unfortunately, Shaun's comments weren't working one day, and I ended up having to tweet him instead of leaving a blog comment.  The more we tweeted back and forth, the more we realized just how much we had in common outside of being math(s) teachers.  Tweeting led to Skyping.  Skyping led to dating.  Dating led to Shaun spending his summer in America.  And, that led to me spending ten weeks of my summer in Australia.  

And, on the day I got off the plane, this happened:  

    
My best friend asked me to marry him.  Of course, I said yes.  You can read Shaun's version of the story here

And, there you have it.  Definitive proof that Math = Love.




48 comments:

  1. This makes me sooooo happy!!!!!!! 💗💗💗 Can't wait to continue to hear more of your love story!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! I'd been wondering if we might read something like this soon. And the QED is just perfect. So happy for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy for the both of you!!! I hope your making that adorable picture into a poster!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray! Many congratulations to you both! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Sarah I am so, SO happy for you!!! I just got all teary eyed reading your post!!! Wishing you so much happiness!!! <3 <3 <3 Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, that is so exciting! Congratulations to you both. I wish you two a joyous, math and love-filled future!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhhh! So cool! Congratulations... yay to math and love! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! So excited for you! Congrats! This def deserves a poster!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! What a great story! Best Wishes to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Laura Steele MonahanAugust 10, 2015 at 1:26 PM

    Fantastic news, Sarah! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whoo-hoo! Congrats! And so it must be true that 1 + 1 = 1...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats Sarah! Now your students won't be able to tease you about being the crazy cat lady anymore. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations. Have you calculated a date? Hehe..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats! What an amazing story! Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations! I am so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awww I love this! Congratulations. Married life is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations from Missouri! Such a cool story!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations from India ! I have been following your Blog for some time and just love your story!! Wishing you both loads of happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, congrats. As a reader of both your blogs, what a nice story!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations and a lifetime of happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wishing you and Shaun much happiness and joy! Congratulations from Boston

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations! May you have many years of happiness together.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is amazing! Congratulations! I've been out of the blogging world for a bit and have really enjoyed going through my reading list and finding this!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations! you are completely my blogging idol! You deserve all the happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congratularions! I look forward to hearing more from you both about your life together AND MATH!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congrats!!!!! So very happy for you and wishing you both wedded bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congrats!!!! ��

    ReplyDelete
  28. That is such a great story!! Congratulations to you both :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congratulations Mrs. Hagan.I really happy for you.. When i had you my freshman year for Algebra 1 it was the best. I have never been able to understand math till i met you.. I'm able to understand everything fully, Your notebooks helped so much and I had an "A" in your class all year.. Thanks for teaching me so much. I never Thought math was fun till i was in your class. Thanks for everything. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  30. Replies
    1. Thanks Kali! I miss having you in my class this year. Hope your year is going well!

      Delete