Math = Love: This Year's New Bulletin Board

Monday, August 31, 2015

This Year's New Bulletin Board

Gave my first SBG quizzes of the year on Friday.  When I hand them back, I write a score of A, B, or Not Yet on them.  I actually grade on a 4-point SBG scale, but I've renamed 4 to "A" and 3 to "B" since I enter a score of 4 as 100% and a score of 3 as 85%.  Any score of 1 or 2 is a "Not Yet" because students are required to reassess until they earn a 3/4 (A/B).

Those students who get an A the first time will get a sticky note stuck to their quiz.  They will write their name on the sticky note and staple it to this board.  I can't wait to watch it fill up!


Here's the link to the Perfect Score First Try! Poster.

And, here's a link to my math symbol posters that are hanging above it.

Also, if you want the YET posters, click here.


Other Note: Eventually, I will finish decorating my classroom and post it for all the world to see.  There's so much stuff I didn't get done this summer.  And, I'm still paying for it.  I can still be an effective teacher with blank bulletin boards.  They do stress me out, though...  


7 comments:

  1. You've probably already thought of this - but as a math student who tends to get 100% on math assignments and quizzes, I find boards like that somewhat troubling - because I don't feel like I deserve my name on them - I don't do any effort to understand and apply the material, it just happens - and I find it really annoying to be singled out like that, I feel like people end up considering me a "know-it-all".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Students have to hang the post-it note up themselves. If they don't want their name on the board, they don't have to have it up there. Most of my students want the recognition, though.

      Delete
  2. Hi Sarah,

    I'm wondering what rubric you share with your students for the SBG scores?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out my syllabus post for more info! http://mathequalslove.blogspot.com/2015/08/new-year-new-syllabus.html

      Delete
  3. I must add to this, though I've never added a comment to a blog before, because I find it so important to contribute this reality:
    When I first saw the picture of this board I LOVED it, because I thought it was a metaphor. I thought that it represented the reality that no one gets 100% on their first try, and therefore the board would remain empty to demonstrate that. It is CRUCIAL that students see the very beneficial practice of making mistakes to address misconceptions and build better and more correct understanding of the topics we teach. We should be putting challenges out there that allow them to "Fail to Succeed," just as Michael Jordan would preach and that the acronym would suggest: First Attempt In Learning.
    I encourage you to ponder this reality and important facet of public education, so that we don't become a part of the problem of today's societal fear of failure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My classroom actually operates on an A/B/Not Yet Grading System. Students get the grade of A, B, or "Not Yet" on each paper they turn in. If students receive a "Not Yet" they retake the paper/quiz until it is an A or a B. Students are allowed to redo each assignment/quiz as many times as they want until they earn an A or a B.

      Delete
  4. I wonder how this board has been received by your students. And what are your reflections on its purpose now that most of the school year is past. Are students who receive the "not there yet" actually wanting to work toward getting a 3/4? I wonder if you would reflect on this question regarding the board, "has this board encouraged or been helpful in moving student achievement from 1/2 to 3/4?

    ReplyDelete