Math = Love: Calculator Hospital

Saturday, October 3, 2015

Calculator Hospital

Guys, I'm not the most organized person.  I'm really not that organized at all.

My desk regularly looks like this:

Do you see those two calculators in the center of the picture?  Students brought them to me because the screens were doing something wonky.  I need to try and reset them to fix this.  Or maybe they just need new batteries.

This happens all the time.  I usually tell students to just give me the calculator and grab a different one.  I set the calculator on my desk with the best of intentions of fixing it.  A few days go by, and I start to forget why that calculator is sitting on my desk.  In a desk cleaning spree, I will put it back in a calculator pocket.

My desk looks cleaner, but soon a student tries to use it again and the whole process starts all over again.

Not any more.

I took an empty plastic tub and labeled it "Calculator Hospital."  Dead/sick/dying calculators now have a designated place to go.

Now, why didn't I think of this sooner???

Oh, and don't worry.  My desk looks much cleaner now.  At least for a little bit...


  1. Great idea! I like the way the hospital has a place...but it's still on top of a pile of papers :) A kindred spirit!

    1. Yeah, my desk isn't that clean yet! ;)

  2. When my kids bring me broken calculators, it's usually because someone turned the screen all the way up or down. There's always one kid who learns how to do it and thinks it's funny to mess with about ten calculators at once. It's either that, or the batteries are dead. :)

    1. Thanks for the reminder! I have had this happen before!