Math = Love: Knocking their SOCS off in stats

Thursday, October 15, 2015

Knocking their SOCS off in stats

First of all, sorry that I'm posting all my stats stuff in a random order.  I've got so many notebook pages to post, so I've just been doing whichever pages are easier to post.  Maybe at some point I'll make a blog page to put them all in order.

So, for today's post, we're talking about identifying the shape, outliers, center, and spread of a quantitative variable.    I stole the SOCS idea from @druinok.  Let's face it.  I steal most of my stats ideas from her.  She's been an absolute lifesaver this year!

I typed up a quick foldable to give my students to keep in their interactive notebooks.  My stats students are the slowest writers in the world.  I learned this the hard way.  So, I've been typing everything I can for them.  





All of the inside:

To practice describing SOCS, I had my class look at this dotplot of the Kentucky Derby Winning Times between 1875 and 2008.  We had quite the interesting discussion about why the data was shaped this way.

I took this graph from Stats: Modeling the World.

Then, I took a few practice problems out of our textbook (Stats: Modeling the World) and made them into a quick foldable.  Since we only have stats every other year, the school doesn't have textbooks.  I have one copy of the book that I use as a reference.  

Here are the files for this lesson.


  1. Saving this for next year. Since it was my first year of teaching Stats I decided to hold off on doing a notebook with them until I had a year under my belt. I've been doing guided notes that I got from one of my instructors at an AP Institute. It was a great training. The two Stats teachers are coauthors of the text that I use.

    1. I did the same thing when I taught stats for the first time two years ago!