Math = Love: 2016 Challenge Bulletin Board

Monday, January 11, 2016

2016 Challenge Bulletin Board

New semester means new changes in my classroom.  /Let's just say this change has some of my students excited and some of my students annoyed.  Excited about a new challenge.  Annoyed at the fact that the sticky note board is no more.

After a semester of students putting a sticky note (with their name on it) on the board each time they made a perfect score the first time on a quiz, I had a bulletin board with a BUNCH of sticky notes.


One good thing about having student aides?  I didn't have to take all of these down myself!!!

So, what's gone up in its place?

The 2016 Challenge.  Because, it's...you know...2016.  The goal is for students to create the numbers 1-100 using only the digits 2, 0, 1, and 6.  Students may add/subtract/multiply/divide, use parentheses, exponents, factorials, square roots, or whatever their little heart desires.

I first learned about the challenge from this tweet:



A comment on that tweet led me to this blog post by Mr. Collins about the 2015 challenge.  

I, of course, had to type up my own version to fit on American sized paper.  My mom bought me a package of 11" x 17" card stock a while back that I have put to good use in my classroom.  I decided that printing the challenge on this larger paper would save my sanity when it came to hang it up.

Here's what the finished product ended up looking like:


Close-Up

Each number has a space to write the equation and a space for the student who found the solution to sign their name.


And, here are the instructions:

 
So, it's been one day.  And, I'm super impressed by the response I've gotten from my kiddos.  Let's just say I'm not used to seeing kids huddled around my bulletin boards with their calculators having heated discussions.  I could get used to this!

Here's the results thus far:


The first page has been almost all filled in.  The other pages still have a while to go.  But, that's a good thing.  I know the progress will be MUCH slower from now on.

If you have access to 11 x 17 paper, you might be interested in the file I made for this.  I've posted it here as an editable Publisher file and a PDF.  For the Publisher file, you'll need this free font: HVD Comic Serif Pro.



18 comments:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE this bulletin board! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! It's quickly becoming one of my faves.

      Delete
  2. I'm thinking about making this challenge into an independent study day assignment! Thanks for sharing.

    So are you still doing any sort of name wall for students who make a perfect score the first time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No name wall this semester. I am putting stickers on their quizzes, though.

      The independent study assignment sounds fun!

      Delete
  3. Love this!!! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah,

    Do you have a doc/pdf that you could share with me? I'd love to put this on my board!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure! I linked to it at the very bottom of the post. It's sized for 11 x 17 paper, though.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for doing this...It has been a plan for me to do this for years, but I have never gotten to it...and you made it super easy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I figure if I'm going to take the time to make a file for myself, I might as well share it. :)

      Delete
  6. Are your students having a hard time with some of the larger numbers? I saw on Mr. Collins page that for 2015 they had all but two numbers, but I feel as if having a 5 was probably helpful.
    Also did you suggest using trig to your students?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids still have 40 numbers to go, and the ones left are mainly larger numbers. Sadly, my kids haven't learned trig yet, so that's not an option for us.

      Delete
    2. How do you go about having them "turn in" answers? I have all grades 9-12, Algebra I - DE online Calculus so I guess I'm just concerned my freshmen won't have time to participate before it gets a lot more difficult.

      Delete
    3. I don't have very many students, so I just have them show me their answer and write it on the board. I've seen some other people who have kids write their solutions on slips and turn them in to be checked in an envelope. You could also set up a google form to have students turn answers in to.

      Delete
  7. I LOVE you!!!! And my students know it...they ask me if every great activity we do is from math=love. The answer is usually yes. thanks for making me love math more!

    ReplyDelete