Math = Love: A Name Change Contest

Saturday, March 26, 2016

A Name Change Contest

Changing your name is hard work.  I've had to visit the tag agent to update my driver's license and the social security office to update my social security card.  Those weren't that bad except for the fact that the social security office got my address wrong, so it required two visits.  I've spent hours of my life at the bank and credit union as the employees try to find the right sequence of button punches to make changes to my account.  Having a husband from Australia hasn't exactly made me the favorite bank customer...  I've even sent off paperwork to change my voter registration and passport.  Then, there's all the phone calls to various companies.  Phone calls where AT&T tries to convince me that it will be easier to change my name in their system if I upgrade my internet speed and change my cell phone service to them and sign up for DirecTV.  Right...


The hardest adjustment has been for my students.  They said good bye to me before Spring Break as Ms. Hagan, and now I'm Mrs. Carter.  It isn't the end of the world if a student calls me Ms. Hagan.  After all, that has been my name for 26 years of my life.  However, I would like to encourage my students to call me by my new married name.  I guess it's just part of the excitement of being married.  :D  

Therefore, I devised a little contest between my classes.  I didn't announce the contest.  I didn't explain the rules.  I don't answer any questions when students ask.

It started by writing 2nd period through 7th period on the dry erase board.  And, each time a student says "Ms. Hagan" instead of "Mrs. Carter," a tally mark goes on the board.  Sometimes I write them right away.  Other times, I keep a mental tally in my head and write them down when I get a chance.  

Here's the start of Day 1 as Mrs. Carter:


End of Day 1: 


At the start of each day, the tallies get changed to numerals so new tallies can be added on.  


End of Day 2:


As the days go on, the number of tallies added are decreasing.  So, I guess that's a good sign.  :)  

The funny thing is that the students think I get mad every time I make a tally.  Really, it's just amusing to me.  And, I'm realizing that my students say my name more times a day than I ever realized!  

3rd, 6th, and 7th periods are freshmen (Algebra 1).  They are obviously struggling the most.  Or, I guess you could say they think the goal of the game might be to get the most points.  ;)   My 2nd and 5th periods are Algebra 2 (sophomores, juniors, and seniors).  My 4th period is Statistics (juniors and seniors).  I expected my upper-level classes to have the most trouble since some students have had me all four years of high school.  But, they seem to be doing the best at remembering.  

Hagan has become known as the "H-Word" that students are continually warning other students not to say.  

There's talk that there might be a prize for the class with the lowest score, but that has yet to be determined.  ;)  




14 comments:

  1. Love your contest. It took my oldest daughter 3 visits to SS before they had her info correct. My youngest daughter decided to keep her name and skip all the work of it. Blessings to you and Mr. Carter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my. I can't imagine 3 visits to SS.

      Thank you so much!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! Changing your name is an ongoing process, I think. Just about the time I think I've got them all, another one pops up. And, a year after changing my name, a coworker introduced me by my maiden name to a client. Good luck! I love the contest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Sarah. First, thank you so much for your blog. You have been an incredible resource to me during my first year using INBs. I was wondering what software you use to create all your resources. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I typically use Microsoft Publisher, but I know many other people use Word or PowerPoint. I think it's best to use what you are most familiar with.

      Delete
  4. The first year I started teaching German, the second year students accidentally called me by their previous teacher's name a lot. Last year it happened less frequently. This year, even though I had all of the third year students last year in second year, some of them still occasionally call me by their first year teacher's name. It's as if it's hard wired in them from their first German class! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a bunch of students who would get me and the computer teacher mixed up because our names both started with "Ha." At least that problem is gone now...

      Delete
  5. While reading this, I just knew that your 3rd and 6th periods were students you had taught in previous years, I was shocked that they were your freshmen!

    Students will adjust, eventually... but there will always be 1 or 2 that will continue to struggle with the name change, at least that's still true for me. Some of the seniors in my current discrete math class had me as their 8th grade math teacher. I got married the June after I taught them so they were my last class that called me by my maiden name. A few boys still slip up and call me Ms. Wilkinson, they always insist it's because my maiden name is so similar to my married name. ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was SO surprised, too! I think part of it may be that my freshmen just talk more.

      Delete
  6. I got lucky in that my maiden name and married name both start with the same letter, have the same number of letters, and are based in a romance language, so I went from "Mizz Dee" to "Mizzus Dee" with ease. I taught middle school at the time (now I teach 1st graders) and married over the summer, so my new class only knew me as "Mrs." Kind of fun!

    Congrats to you and your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  7. P.S. Don't be surprised if everyone starts taking bets on when you'll start a family. As soon as my kids from the previous year found out I'd gotten married, they'd drop by and ask if I was pregnant *all the time.* Anything that could even be remotely interpreted as a maternity garment got whispers in the halls! Kids. They're cute. They can't remember to turn in their homework, but they'll notice the slightest change in their teachers' wardrobe or behaviors and start buzzing about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And, thanks for the warning. They definitely keep me on my toes!

      Delete
  8. I feel your pain! I have to visit the Tag Agency to change my address on my Drivers Licence; it is even right across the street from my house in Drumright but... I always get home from school late! I always forget when we have a day off too or it's a holiday!

    ReplyDelete