Math = Love: Algebra 1 SBG Skills List - Aligned to New Oklahoma Academic Standards

Thursday, May 26, 2016

Algebra 1 SBG Skills List - Aligned to New Oklahoma Academic Standards

For the first time in a while, I'm not entirely sure what classes I'm going to be teaching next year.  But, I'm 99% sure that I'm teaching Algebra 1.  Oklahoma has adopted new academic standards for mathematics, so I need to adapt my previous SBG skills and units to the new standards.  I'm also making changes based on my experiences from teaching Algebra 1 this past year.

If you're interested, here are my SBG skill lists for last year's Algebra 1 course.  Last year, I had 8 units and 58 skills.

Below, I'll be posting my new SBG skill lists for this year's Algebra 1 course.  This year, I have 12 units and 62 (If I counted correctly!) skills.  There are a number of new topics that I have to address this year in Algebra 1 (simplifying and operating on radicals, arithmetic and geometric sequences, solving absolute value equations, systems of inequalities, and a much more in-depth look at probability).

I've made several key changes from last year.  I greatly reduced the "review" chapter at the beginning of the year.  I'm moving a lot of the things I would LIKE to review to my daily warm-ups.  These are still in the works, but my current idea is to choose a different review focus for warm-ups for each month of the school year.  For example, in August, I think we will start off each class period with a couple of order of operation review problems.  We'll start simple at the beginning of the month and ramp up to more complex problems by the end of the month.  Another month, we'll focus on integer operations for the warm-ups.  I think this will help me still review these important topics without taking up valuable time that belongs to standards actually in the prescribed curriculum.

Another thing I've done is combine several learning skills into a single learning skill.  For example, I used to have evaluate functions from a table, evaluate functions from an equation, and evaluate functions from a graph as three separate skills.  This year, I'm combining them into a single skill of evaluating functions.  I think I will still teach them separately, but I will assess them together.  I'm trying not to overwhelm my students (and myself!) with too many skills.

My husband has been working on SBG skills for Geometry, so I asked him kindly for the template he was using to organize his units.  I liked how he included both the new Oklahoma Academic Standards and the old PASS standards that each unit was aligned to.  So, I did the same.



Are these skill lists perfect?  Most definitely not.  One of the reasons I want to post them now, well before the beginning of the new school year, is so I have a chance to get constructive feedback from others.  So, if you're making your own plans to teach to the new Oklahoma Algebra 1 standards, or if you just like looking at other people's skill lists, I welcome your feedback!

So, without further ado, here are my Algebra 1 skill lists.
(Download the entire set of skill lists with OAS and PASS Standards here.)


Fundamentals of Algebra (FA)

Solving Equations (SE)

 Relations and Functions (RF)

Linear Graphs (LG)

Writing Linear Equations (WL)

Absolute Value Graphs (AV)

Inequalities (IN)

Systems of Equations and Inequalities (SY)

Polynomials (PO)


Radicals (RA)

Sequences (SY)

Data Analysis and Probability (DP)



15 comments:

  1. I love your unit organizer! I know I am teaching 8th grade algebra 1 next year (still in Vietnam!) Finally, only 1 grade level instead of multiple grade levels and preps.

    Anyway, We use the Aero standards, so I need to tweak yours a little, but it is a good foundation. I do not use the textbook that often, but have found myself following the order of the book, just to keep my sanity.

    What does SBG stand for? I see you use the term, but I am clueless as to its meaning.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Standards Based Grading (Proficiency Grading)

      Delete
    2. Do a google search for "standards based grading." It's very enlightening to read about different ways to assess your students.

      Delete
  2. I am trying to switch to SBG. I teach in Oklahoma as well, and I am so happy you posted this! I really enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blog! What do you use to determine the initial and updated scores?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Students take a quiz over each concept. This is their initial score. If a student requizzes, this will be their updated score.

      Delete
  4. I'm assuming that this is a document that you will give to your students so that they can track their scores and reassess if needed. Is this correct?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are quadratic functions not a part of Algebra 1 in Oklahoma? If not how do you feel about that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They aren't. Just factoring. Growing up in OK, it's all I've ever known.

      Delete
  6. These are great. Thanks so much for sharing. I love that you have Algebra 1 and you have shared Geometry as well, I know this might be greedy, but do you have this for Algebra 2?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband has created an Algebra 2 version. His blog URL is: blog.primefactorisation.com

      Delete
  7. Love this!! Have you ever mapped them to IXL skills? I might tackle this if you haven't done it. LOVE your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never used IXL, so no. Good luck!

      Delete