Math = Love: Math-y Jewelry from Kokoba

Thursday, May 5, 2016

Math-y Jewelry from Kokoba

I love math.  Obviously.  I also love jewelry.  Awesome things happen when those two categories overlap.  Today, I want to introduce you to one of my lovely blog readers who inspires me with the way she can combine math and jewelry to make something beautiful.  

Meet Katherine.  You can find her on twitter, her blog, and her etsy store which is filled with math, physics, chemistry, and biology jewelry.    

A while back, Katherine e-mailed me and offered me a piece of math-y jewelry in exchange for mentioning her etsy store on my blog.  I visited her blog to see her work and was instantly impressed.  But, I got sidetracked and never ended up responding to her offer.  Thankfully, she let me know it was a long-standing offer, and I could take her up on it whenever I was ready.  

As Shaun and I were planning our wedding, we knew we wanted it to reflect our personalities and interests.  We ignored my students' suggestions of having a 3.14 tier cake and a kangaroo ring bearer.  As silly as their suggestions were, my kids were on to something.  For us, math really did equal love.  Though, as much as we both love math, we weren't keen to decorate our wedding with equations or anything...  I thought about Katherine's offer and wondered if she could design a necklace I could wear with my wedding dress that was based on the digits of pi.  When I reached out to her, she took the idea a step further and offered to incorporate Australian opals into the design since Shaun is from Australia.  We'd brainstormed ideas to incorporate Australia into our wedding somehow, but we had failed to come up with anything that didn't seem cheesy.  So, this Australia connection was perfect for us.  (Truth be told, we didn't stop there.  We also had Tim Tams for wedding favors.)    

I told her I was looking for something classy, and she definitely outdid herself.  

Thanks Katherine for helping make my wedding day incredibly special!   

Here's a close-up picture.  Can you find the digits of pi?  

If you need help finding the digits, Katherine has an awesome page on her blog about how she incorporates different numbers into her jewelry designs.  

Visiting Katherine's Etsy shop gives you loads more of beautiful, number-based jewelry to choose from.  

Those are all from the math section.  But, Katherine does science jewelry, too!  

Check out this gorgeous bracelet that features the Newtonian Constant of Gravitation.  

Newtonian Constant of Gravitation Bracelet
This beautiful necklace features Avogadro's Number. 

Avogadro's Number Necklace
If you don't see anything that catches your fancy, Katherine also does custom designs.  She can design a piece of jewelry around any number which you find significant.  

Katherine was an absolute pleasure to work with, and I definitely recommend her work!  


  1. Thank you so much for the kind words!! I'm so glad you liked it!

  2. Holy moly this is AMAZING. I love the combination of subtlety while still being significant! Thanks for sharing!

    1. I think you summed Katherine's work up perfectly!