Math = Love: Students Offer Alphabetical Advice

Monday, May 2, 2016

Students Offer Alphabetical Advice

My motivation to blog lately has been pretty non-existant.  There's a couple of things I could blame it on.  Being busy and  (Think: state testing and finishing up my action research project so I can graduate with my master's in a couple of weeks) being out of my routine at work.  (Think: keeping students busy after state testing and packing up my classroom to prepare to move our stuff this week to a different building for next year.)

Grad school will be done in two weeks. (SO excited about this one!)  My fourth year of teaching will be over in ten days. (Where in the world has the time gone?)  It's time to get back to blogging.  Therefore, I've decided I'm going to participate in the #MTBoS30 challenge.  (If you haven't heard about it, a bunch of MTBoSers are planning to blog a bunch--30 times to be exact.)  Over the next 30 days, I am going to try to blog once per day.  It's time to start reflecting on this year and start thinking about changes that I want to see happen next year.  I've started reading more in the past week or so, so I want to share some of my recent reads with you, too.

Today, I want to share an end-of-year project I did with my students this year.  It's an idea I had and blogged about back in August of this school year.  It's a good thing I blogged about it because I would have totally forgotten about it otherwise.  The idea was to have my students write a piece of advice to future students starting with each letter of the alphabet.  The best advice for each letter would be compiled and shared with the next year's classes.  


I'd forgotten about this idea until I was searching for something on my blog the other day and it popped up in the search results.  I printed off the sheets and handed to them to my students to work on during one class period after state testing was over.  

I experimented doing this activity several different ways.  With my first few classes, I had them compile their answers in groups and then vote to decide which group had the best answer.  This just led to a lot of unnecessary arguing and really got on my nerves.  For the rest of the day, I had students just complete the sheets on their own.  I ended up going through and picking out what I thought was the best pieces of advice.  

So, here is the advice my students would give future students: 




























There were plenty of silly outtakes, too.  But that'll have to be another post for another day.  



11 comments:

  1. I LOVE this!! I might steal the idea, in fact, if you don't mind. I love getting into students' heads and seeing what they are thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautifully presented! Awesome Sarah and congrats on Grad School.
    Thanks for Sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This idea was so much fun! I have 4 sections of Algebra 2 so each section created their own list. I then set them up on a google form and let them vote on the overall winner for each letter. While "voting" I overheard a student saying "These are all so awesome!"
    Love your blog! Looking forward to doing the tombstone project tomorrow! Thanks for sharing the great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I...uh.. put these up in my classroom?? They're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So stealing this for the end of this next school year ;)!!

    Thank you for all the freebie ideas!!

    Also, congrats on getting married!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Luv this! They may appear in my classroom in September.

    ReplyDelete