Math = Love: Crowd-Sourcing Favorite Practice Structures

Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Crowd-Sourcing Favorite Practice Structures

I had a twitter conversation with Kathryn Freed yesterday that reminded me of a project I want to do this summer.


...


I want to come up with as comprehensive as possible of a list of practice structures that can be used in the math classroom.  Then, when I'm (or you're) looking to create an activity for a particular skill, my (or your) brain doesn't have to work quite as hard to come up with an idea!

I've tried to come up with my own list before, but I know that if we work together, we can come up with a better list than any of us could individually.  When I was trying to make my own list, I started wondering about what sorts of categories these practice structures could be sorted in.

Here's the categories I came up with.  For each category, I've listed a couple of practice structures that popped to mind.  For some of them, it's hard to judge exactly which category a practice structure should go in.  For example, a card sort can be done individually, with a partner, or in a small group.  So maybe the categories are arbitrary?  

Competitive Whole-Class Activities

  • Solve Crumple Toss
  • Bingo
  • Etc. 


Non-Competitive Whole-Class Activities

  • Speed Dating
  • I Have...Who Has?
  • Etc.


Partner/Small Group Activities

  • Add Em Up
  • Row Games
  • Etc. 


Independent Practice Activities

  • Tarsia Puzzles
  • Card Sorts
  • Etc.
Want to help by sharing your favorite practice structures?  I'll compile the results (complete with links and descriptions) in a page on my blog for you to reference in the future.  

If the embedded form to share your favorite practice structure doesn't show up below, please visit this link!

Thank you for all your help!