Math = Love: Growth Mindset Mistakes Poster

Friday, July 29, 2016

Growth Mindset Mistakes Poster

A continual focus in my classroom is helping my students build a growth mindset.  One quote I've seen time and time again when it comes to mindset is "Mistakes are expected, respected, inspected, and corrected."  I've seen this attributed to Jo Boaler and her "How to Learn Math" course.

This summer, I decided that I wanted to post this on the wall in my classroom as a reminder to students.  I looked online to see if anybody else had already made a poster, but I didn't see anything that really caught my eye.  Though, there might have been a great one that I just missed somehow...  To be honest, I didn't spend all that much time looking.

Here's what I came up with:


I originally wanted the words at the bottom to be printed on two different colors of paper and be alternated, but I accidentally loaded two sheets of orange paper in my printer.  So, orange it is!

Here are close-ups of the different elements:


As soon as I can get access to my classroom, I'll post a picture of them in action!


If you'd like to post these in your own classroom, I've uploaded the files here as an editable Publisher file and a non-editable PDF file.  For the Publisher file, you'll need to also download these free fonts: Wellfleet and Caviar Dreams.  If you don't want to deal with fonts, just download the PDF version.




26 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing your resources. You continue to be an inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! I'm thinking about my own growth mindset/mistake wall and this will be a great addition! Thanks!

    - @mskleinbart

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your ideas and resources. After 20 years of teaching primary grades, I am to teach 6th grade math this year. I am excited, but nervous! You have inspired me to try your great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome resource to encourage students to keep trying!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great!! I hope it will give students confidence to keep moving forward!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome poster. Inspirational for everybody.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is awesome! Thanks for always sharing the things you come up with! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing this! I have just started reading Jo Boaler's book, and I'm excited to use this in my own classroom as a starting point!

    ReplyDelete
  9. great idea, I got to translate it for my pupils (Germany)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So awesome you are translating it for your own classroom!

      Delete
  10. Great reminder for kids that mistakes are a part of learning. Thank you for sharing. Pinned onto our "Ideas for Classroom" board!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This works for little children and adults too. We all need a little encouragement and not to forget that learning is a lifelong process. Thanks for sharing Sarah!

    ReplyDelete