Math = Love: Posters of Perfect Squares and Perfect Cubes

Thursday, July 28, 2016

Posters of Perfect Squares and Perfect Cubes

If you like making math pretty and colorful, you must check out Clarissa Grandi's website!  The idea for the posters I'm posting below came from her beautiful classroom displays which she has posted pictures of here.  (She even links to files so you can recreate them yourself!)

If you didn't click the link above (and you really should have), here's my inspiration image:

Picture
Source:http://www.artfulmaths.com/classroom-display-ideas.html
I just love the visual representation of the different perfect squares and perfect cubes.  Clarissa placed pre-cut numbers on top of the colored squares and cubes.

I decided I wanted to simplify things a bit and just print the numbers directly on the squares and cubes.  This also let me do cubes higher than 216.

Here's how they turned out.  I printed them on colored paper and laminated them.  As soon as I'm allowed back in school, I'll be hanging them up above my number line!


I just LOVE looking at these!


I also made a title to hang next to them:


Here's a close-up of one of the squares:


And one more picture just because I got carried away taking pictures because I love these posters that much!


Now, onto perfect cubes!  My husband graciously used his geogebra skills to make the images of the cubes for me.  Thanks Shaun!




I also made a sign to hang next to the perfect cubes!


Did you notice that I used the same colors for both sets of posters?  This way, 1 squared and 1 cubed are the same color.  2 squared and 2 cubed are the same color, etc.  (The first time I printed these I got the colors off.  It bugged me so much I had to print another set.)

If you want to download these posters for your classroom, I've uploaded them here as editable Publisher files and non-editable PDF files.  For the Publisher file, you'll also need to download the font HVD Comic Serif Pro or substitute your own favorite font.

If you prefer Clarissa's version with the pre-cut numbering, you can download her files here.

Update 7/28/16: Someone pointed out that my poster for 9 was actually 4x3 instead of 3x3.  Oops!  I've corrected the file and uploaded a new version.  Now, I just have to reprint that one and laminate it.  Guess it's a good thing I haven't hung them up in my classroom yet...

Update 7/28/16: My husband wrote a blog post that includes the Geogebra code to create your own cubes if you so wish.


8 comments:

  1. I really like these. Thanks so much. I love that you share with other teachers free stuff. Grateful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Bridgette! You have the most amazing blog! Thanks for sharing! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog is so amazing. So many great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the square number posters but would like to go all the way to 400 or maybe even 625? Do you have a link for making your own square posters? Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just made the squares using tables :)

      Delete