Math = Love: #ReadThree - Crime Scenes, Cubic Meters, and Trigonometry

Friday, July 15, 2016

#ReadThree - Crime Scenes, Cubic Meters, and Trigonometry

Earlier this summer, I read Pam Wilson's Read Three posts.  Her goal was to find three new math teacher blogs to read and pick a favorite post from each to blog about.  I enjoyed reading her posts and thought to myself that I should try this myself.  Then, I kinda forgot about it.

Yesterday, I clicked on a name in tweetdeck that I didn't recognize and quickly saw that this person had a blog I also didn't recognize.  Soon, I was reading and ran across an awesome post.  This reminded me of Pam's posts.  (Okay - in all honesty, I had to go back to her blog and figure out what she had called her posts!)

So, here's my first #ReadThree adventure.  To find new math blogs to read, I'm scrolling through the twitter profiles of people I follow to look for new-to-me blogs.

_____ 

Clara Maxcy blogs at The 30th Voice.  She's been blogging since 2013, but I only somehow just happened on her blog.  The post that stuck out to me the most (probably because I'm teaching trig again next year!) is titled Murder Mystery Solved with Trig!  

image
Image Source: https://the30thvoice.wordpress.com/2016/04/14/murder-mystery-solved-with-trig/ 
I love that this activity gets kids up and moving and talking about trig.  The pieces you see amidst the caution tape are given to students before the murder mystery begins and they are asked to reconstruct the triangle.  How brilliant is that?!?  Then, the students are asked questions like "Who is opposite of Angle A?"  I also love how this activity emphasizes that a single leg can be both the opposite leg and the adjacent leg under different circumstances.  I definitely want to incorporate an activity like this in my trig class this year.  Now, off to see if Amazon sells caution tape...

_____

Mardalee Burwitz blogs at Math-n-Science=WAHOO!  As I was scrolling through her blog posts, a picture of some students with a bunch of meter sticks caught my eye. 

outside the box
Image Source: https://mburwitzwahoo.wordpress.com/2016/01/17/so-just-how-big-is-a-cubic-meter/
Mardalee's students were solving a textbook problem where the answer was a cubic meter.  Her students were wondering just how big a cubic meter was.  Her students built a model of a cubic meter to help their fellow students picture it.  

My students have always struggled with square and cubic units of measurement.  This has always frustrated me.  But, now I'm realizing that I've never used that as an opportunity to show my students the difference between an inch, a square inch, and a cubic inch.  I definitely want to do something like this next year!  Here's the link to Mardalee's full explanation

_____

My last new blog for the day is John Rowe's How I teach maths.  Guess what post stood out to me first?  Yup.  Another trigonometry post.  I guess it was the title of his post that first caught my eye: The Best Worksheet I have ever Rewritten.  In this post, John takes a few basic trigonometry problems and completely turns them on their head.  Instead of asking a question, John gives his students four answers and asks them to come up with the questions that could be answered that way.

This type of problem  

Screen Shot 2016-05-08 at 9.03.47 pm
Image Source: https://mrrowe.com/2016/05/09/the-best-worksheet-i-have-ever-rewritten/
    
becomes

Q1
Image Source: https://mrrowe.com/2016/05/09/the-best-worksheet-i-have-ever-rewritten/


So much more thinking going on here.  And, I can't wait to try this out in my own classroom!  

_____

I have to say that this turned out just as fun as I thought it would be!  So, be on the lookout for more #ReadThree blog posts in the future!  



2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your wonderful comments! If you can find the caution tape, let me know and I'll send you some!

    ReplyDelete