Math = Love: New Order of Operations Posters

Tuesday, August 2, 2016

New Order of Operations Posters

Yesterday, I was allowed back in my classroom for what feels like the first time in forever.  They waxed the floors, and we had to wait ten whole days for the wax to dry.  For a teacher who lives for decorating her classroom, this was pure torture.

Here's one of the decorations I put up yesterday:


This may seem familiar because I've had order of operation posters on my wall before.

Here's what they looked like:


As you can see, I've made a few tweaks.  I changed the font so that I could use the same font size for all of the letters.  In my old version, it bugged me that the M was smaller than all of the other letters.  When I made the posters, I told myself it wouldn't bother me.  It did.  

I've also decided to make the transition from PEMDAS to GEMDAS.  In the past, I've always thought that I should just use PEMDAS because that's what my students have been taught in the past.  Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally is pretty ingrained in my students' brains.  The actual order of operations and what it means is less ingrained.  


After making my grouping symbols poster, I started toying with the idea of using G for "Grouping Symbols" instead of P for "Parentheses."  I decided to go for it.  Even if my students still think PEMDAS when they think order of operations, I hope that I can really emphasize the different grouping symbols that can be used this year.  (And, if you still want to do PEMDAS, I included a "P" at the end of the file, too!)

I still plan on cutting some arrows and running them across MD and AS to show that we do those operations in order from left to right.  

If you're interested in the files, here are the links:

Order of Operations Title (Font: Bahiana)

New GEMDAS Posters (Font: Gill Sans Ultra Bold) [Includes a P for PEMDAS, too!]


Grouping Symbols Poster (Font: HVD Comic Serif Pro) [Blog Post]

  



3 comments:

  1. I have also been ingrained with Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally and immediately needed a substitute that made sense to me (grammar geek). Thesaurus.com to the rescue.... How about Gladly for the 'G'? Gladly Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally. Thank you for the freebies and a better way of thinking, I introduce order of operations to my fourth graders later in the year. Happy BTS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know GERMDAS? It incorporates radicals at the exponent level (since they're just fractional exponents)

    ReplyDelete