Math = Love: Hello, SUMMER!

Friday, May 12, 2017

Hello, SUMMER!

And, just like that the 2016-2017 school year is over.  Teachers still have to go back on Monday for a professional day, but I am already considering it to be summer.

Our last day was definitely not normal because a total of four teachers were changing classrooms.  There were students wielding desks, chairs, computers, and everything else imaginable through the halls.  It only took 1.5 class periods (50 minutes each) to move all of my stuff from my old classroom to my new classroom.

This chaotic moving process left my new room to be a huge mess.


After a few hours of moving stuff and then changing my mind and moving it again, my room started to gain some semblance of order.


My parents and sister came over this evening to help my husband and I hang my bulletin boards and dry erase board.  My dry erase board is fifteen feet long, so there is no way that Shaun and I could have put that up ourselves.  I'm so blessed to have an amazing family that is always willing to help me.

We didn't leave school until 9:30, and I forgot to take a picture of our progress.  There's still A LOT to do, but it finally looks like a classroom that you could teach a lesson in.  Now I can start thinking about decorations for next year!

Notice anything different about my new classroom?  I'll be having tables this year instead of desks.  I've only ever taught with individual student desks, so I'm not sure what to expect.  Anyone have any pointers for setting up a room with tables?

I'll be sure to post more pictures once I get back up to school.

5 comments:

  1. Happy Summer! 2 weeks to go here. German secondary school classrooms typically have 2 person tables: http://www.whatcanidowiththat.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/classroom.JPG, so maybe you should add a few German phrases into your lessons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Summer! We have 18 more days left until summer! I have tables in my classroom. Two students can sit comfortably at one table. I put 2 tables together to make groups of 4 students that I call teams (Together Everyone Achieves Math). I have seven teams spread out around the classroom which are angled so that all students can see the smart board. This arrangement is great for group work, centers/stations, and I can easily move around the room and help several students at one time! I put supplies that they will need for the day in a plastic container in the middle of the table. You can easily assign team members jobs too! I love my tables!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't help with room arrangement, since I have only ever had desks.

    I can't believe you are already finished for the year. We still have another 18 days of school, plus graduation and one teacher workday. June 16 seems so far away! And of course, we start back on Aug 2 for teachers and August 9 for students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You are already finished? We don't end until June 23rd.
    I'm sure your classroom will be amazing.
    Thank you for all you post and your trials and successes. I've used many of your printables and enjoy reading your posts.
    Have a great summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah - I have a room with library tables, and what I have found works well for MOST (not all) classes is visibly random groupings (http://www.peterliljedahl.com/wp-content/uploads/Visibly-Random-Groups.pdf). I use a deck of cards from which I have removed 9,10, and the color cards (I have 8 tables), and distribute them at the door almost every day. The students find it intriguing and MOST of the time cooperate. I even have former students come back and ask for a card now and then! It's very gratifying to see kids supporting one another who might not otherwise converse or socialize.

    ReplyDelete