Math = Love: Recognizing Inequalities from Graphs - Speed Dating Activity

Saturday, May 27, 2017

Recognizing Inequalities from Graphs - Speed Dating Activity

As I'm working my way through my folder of blog drafts, I'm realizing that most of the ideas have found their way into other posts. This post contains an idea that was mentioned in another post, but I never got around to sharing pictures of what the activity actually looked like.

I wanted my Algebra 1 students to be able to quickly glance at a graph on a number line and determine the algebraic inequality that would produce that graph.  I created a set of speed dating cards using sharpie, pencil, and colored index cards.  The index cards don't have to be colored, but I find that my kids have much more trouble seeing through the colored cards than the plain white ones.  Please tell me I'm not the teacher who has the few students who waste more time trying to read the answer on the other side instead of just answering the question.


I used sharpie for the graphs and pencil for the answers in the hopes that I could prevent cheating even more that way.


So, how does speed dating work? Each student is given a card with the graph facing up.  Once they have determined the inequality that produces their graph, they flip the card over to check their answer.


Once all students have had ample time to solve the problem on their own card, I have each student stand up and find a partner.  Students hold their cards up to their partners with the problem facing out.  
I tell my students that in speed dating, the goal is to meet as many people in as short of time as possible and exchange contact information in case you later decide you want to get to know someone better.  In class, our goal is to get as much practice naming inequalities as possible. 

Students take turn answering the other's question.  Each student coaches the other student through the solution if necessary.  Then, students trade cards and find a new partner.  This continues until the teacher calls time. 

Here are some action shots: 




One of my summer goals is to take these speed dating activities that I have handwritten on index cards and turn them into share-able digital activities.  I'll be sure to share once I get this done!

1 comment:

  1. This looks great! I will try this next school year.

    ReplyDelete