Math = Love: Trigonometry Advice from Former Students

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Trigonometry Advice from Former Students

For years, I have had my students write letters of advice to future students after state testing was over. This year, my students did not have an end-of-instruction exam, so I was able to just keep teaching up until the end of the school year.  So, this year was the first time in a long time that I didn't have students write letters of advice.

As I'm cleaning out my draft folder, I ran across a twist on the idea that I tried with my trigonometry students two years ago.  Since I don't teach trig every year, I couldn't really have them write letters to the next year's students.  Instead, I had them write letters to their past selves with information they wish they had before beginning trig.

You can tell these are from a couple of years ago because I was still Ms. Hagan, then!

--

Here is some advice I should tell you that will help you out for trig.  You'll need to pay attention, listen to Ms. Hagan, and ask questions.  A big tip you'll need to know is to compliment her on her pi jewelry. :)

--

You were being dumb this year.  You should have sat down and paid attention.  You would have made better grades and would have done better on the ACT.

--

When you come into trig, try hard to keep up with your notebook.  Your notebook will be your absolute best friend.  Pay extra close attention when Ms. Hagan is giving her lectures.  Be sure to know how to do one lesson before you move on to the next one because more than likely the lessons are going to tie into each other.

--

Wait to highlight your notes until after Ms. Hagan is done with explaining the examples.  If you do not wait, you will get confused.  Speak up and use your words more often.  Participate in the games they play in class.  You will have more fun that way.  I promise.  On Good Things Monday, you should participate.  And, I promise that nobody will judge you.  Tell your funnies on Friday funnies.

--

You should pay more attention in class and work harder on in-class activities so you know what's going on.  Don't be on your phone as much so you know what's going on so you can pass your quizzes the first time you take it so you don't have to come in after class.

--

When we create a time machine and this gets back to you, there are some things I would like you to prepare for.  You need to just study more and actually do your homework.  Don't be on your phone as much so you can take better notes and pay attention better.  Also, start bringing snacks to class because you are always getting hungry before lunch.  You should also keep your notebook more organized and numbered.

--

Enjoy the days when you get to play uno!  Those are the best days ever.  The notebook is the best part of the class when you aren't playing games.

--

I would suggest that you should pay attention...  You really do learn more.  If you don't know what's going on, raise your hand and ask a question.  Ms. Hagan is there to help in any way possible.  Practice truly does make perfect in this class.  "Notebooks" are your best friend during class/tests.  Oh, and keep taking any class Ms. Hagan offers.

--

Don't be frightened about trigonometry.  Definitely don't believe the horror stories you hear about it either.  Trigonometry will actually make sense.  Out of all math subjects you have learned so far, you will understand trig more than you understand any other math subject.  

--


1 comment:

  1. I love these comments - they sound like so many of the ones that I saw from my Pre-Calculus students. The last one especially reminded me of one student's comment: "You might get frustrated by how little you remember and how much you forget, but don't, because you will have learned more math this year than all the other years combined (as long as you pay attention)."

    ReplyDelete