Math = Love: Algebra 2 Unit 4 INB Pages (Sequences and Series)

Saturday, May 23, 2015

Algebra 2 Unit 4 INB Pages (Sequences and Series)

Today, I'm posting Unit 4's INB pages for Algebra 2.  Yes, I realize I'm posting these out of order.  I'm becoming less and less of a perfectionist about these things.  And, I'm not sure if this is good or bad.

This is a unit I want to do some serious revamping of this summer.  These pages have remained basically unchanged since I started teaching sequences and series.  I think my teaching has improved; now I need to come up with a way to improve my notes.

A couple of students suggested that I spend more time having them find values recursively before I ever give them formulas.  I think this is definitely worth considering!  I see the need for the formula.  Now, I need to get my kiddos to see the need for the formula.

Ideas for revamping this unit:

Sequence vs Series Card Sort - Some students seem to confuse the definition of series with the definition of arithmetic.  Fix this!

Arithmetic vs Geometric Card Sort - Students must determine whether to solve for r or d!

Solve Two Ways - Make a notebook page where students have to solve for a certain term or sum recursively AND using the formula.

Word Problem Practice - Put more word problems and their worked solutions in our notebooks!  Students seem to struggle with determining arithmetic vs. geometric from a story problem.

Dice - Have students generate their own sequences somehow.  Roll a die.  This is a sub one.  Roll the die again.  This is a sub two.  If this sequence is arithmetic, continue it.  If this sequence is geometric, continue it.


Table of Contents:


Frayer Models:




Arithmetic Sequence and Series Formulas:




Geometric Sequences and Series Formulas:






3 comments:

  1. where can I find the pdf file for the arithmetic formula foldable?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of my files can be found here: https://app.box.com/s/abl3ycndkyzb7jcujpdf

      Delete
  2. Wow! Thank you for all the work you did.
    Can you tell me did this format make a difference with the students?
    I teach the alternative math class and have tried multiple different ways. So far nothing has really worked. These are the students who hate math and most hate school. The least amount of work they have to do the happier they are. So far notes is my biggest problem.

    ReplyDelete