Math = Love: Element Quiz Generator

Friday, October 13, 2017

Element Quiz Generator

I mentioned in a previous post, that I'm giving my chemistry students weekly element quizzes until they have the symbols and names of the first 36 elements memorized.

When I told my husband of my plan to write my element quizzes, he offered to help create an Excel Spreadsheet that would automatically generate random element quizzes. Of course, I took him up on his offer!

Here's the finished product:


Change the version letter, and the spreadsheet will automatically generate a new quiz. Not happy with the new quiz version? Hit F9 to generate a different version.



This part of the spreadsheet controls the magic. 



Type in the atomic numbers that you want to quiz students through. Choose a quiz number and version letter. The spreadsheet does the rest. 

For my class, we are doing four quizzes. 
Quiz 1 - Elements 1-12
Quiz 2 - Elements 13-24
Quiz 3 - Elements 25-36
Quiz 4 - Elements 1-36

The spreadsheet made it super easy to generate all of these quizzes (including FOUR versions of each) in a matter of minutes. I simply hit F9 until I got a quiz version I wanted, then I selected "Microsoft Print to PDF" as my printer. 





Each PDF contains a quiz and the corresponding answer key! 



 Here's what the finished product looks like:


Quiz
Answer Key
You can download the element quiz generator (created by my husband) as well as each of the quizzes I created using the generator here. I'm also including the file for the study guide I gave my students to prepare for each of the element quizzes. 


1 comment:

  1. Wow this is great and available even before I need it. Thank you for sharing yours and your husband's resources!!! So very appreciated!!! I see the excel template has other information so will you use it for other things in future like electron configurations, atomic mass etc?

    ReplyDelete